Remote base control with UHF radio or other RF link.

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Remote base control with UHF radio or other RF link.

Post by KitN1MCC »

I am planning on settin up a a Few VHf remotes bases up for a few local Contractors the Garage is about 3 miles from the hill.

what i need to know is what should i use for link radios, and how do i set it up to control everthing.

i am thinking UHF links or maybe cheap micro wave.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:

The traditional way that a remote base is configured is that the link is a repeater, cross connected to the base station. (RT, RA)This allows for the control station to override the other interference, etc on the channel.

By the time that you are finished with this you might as well sell them a UHF repeater system.
Keep in mind that you are likely to wind up withnarrow band channel assignments.

I have heard "wide band" stations controlled by a narrow band link, and it does not sound very good to me, but then I didn't work on it.

In any case the FCC requires positive control of the transmitter.

I have had very good luck with a 900meg un-licensed digital microwave,
but it is expensive, and requires some sort of modem to operate.
Aloha, Bernie
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

We like Vhf and we are all set up But is i just a small side Project.

Right now thay are cool with the Mobiles. But we would like to ste up a damn good base.

what it is one of the guys who i know just built a shop on one of the high hills he is puttin his base up there and his buddies want to get the ant up there and keep there shops were they are.

and Leased line is expensiuve
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
I understand what you want.
There is another thing that needs to be considered.
One station is fine, but if you install two, or more stations, you must consider the effects of one station on the other.
That is somthing called "desense".
One station may cause severe interference with the others if the isolation between stations is insufficent.
This means that you will likely need filters, which may be very expensive.
If the frequency seperation is much less than 600KC. forget about it, or accept the fact that only one base may be used at a time for transmitting, as it may "wipe out" the other receivers on the site.

Leased lines are un-reliable, and expensive, however all of the other bits and peices that will be required are also expensive.

By any chance can you actually see the proposed site from the control point?
Aloha, Bernie
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

As for Denses that maybe not an issue. they are 1 is on 157 other on 159 other on 173..

yes and no i can seet the the hill. if i get on the roof. i can. as far as bird flys so lazer might work. or i might go wih VOIP
mastr

Post by mastr »

If you find an affordable VOIP solution, please post the info. Everything I have seen is way more expensive than a couple of link radios and the related infrastructure.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
If there is a telephone service available, you could put on a "phone patch"
Just dial up the base from anywhere.
If the antennas are just horizontally spaced there could still be problems.
If I had my druthers, I would allways use a cavity filter on each station.
Besides helping to eliminate all sorts of interference, especially if the base receiver lacks a tuneable pre-selector.( Max trac, and that ilk.)
Another useful feature is that it can protect the radio in case of lightning strike on the antenna, or near by.
I think that these are available on the surplus market. In this case there is no problem with a 30 year old Motorola or PD cavity.
Aloha, Bernie
Quarterwave

Post by Quarterwave »

How about a simplex repeater? Zetron make a controller for a couple hundred buck and you wouldnt have to change your license.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”