Front / Rear operation on systems 9000 heads

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SlimBob

Front / Rear operation on systems 9000 heads

Post by SlimBob »

Hi all,

I'm curious about the Front/Rear operation of the System 9000 heads -- I've heard that it requires a t-cable when used with the Syntor X9000, but I've yet to find a pinout for it online. Also, can the rear control head "take" control from the front head? I assume that the control head must be present at all times, which rules out just splicing it in when needed... I'm looking for a way to remote control the vehicle radios from the trunk... in case of theft and all :)
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

It's another cable, a T, with the head connector, and speaker connector. " HKN4376B Tcbl For Rear Head "

You could remove a head, and still be able to use the radio. I've done it, when a rear-head went bad. The radio will show a Fail Code, unless it's reprogrammed.

The programming tells the drawer there IS a rear head, and can even name it. Only 1 head is live at a time. Whatever channel up is what will come up at the push of the F/R button.
I have a radio which glitched, and is giving me a volume control problem, but ordinarily, when one head is active, the other head's speaker is silent. The display will show REMOTE, and nothing on it will work until F/R is pressed.
The F/R can be pushed at either head to txfr control.

Still a little fuzzy on the purpose of this, you want control from the trunk in-case you are carjacked? you wanting to remove and replace the front head when in bad areas? DO NOT plan on this, the pins and clips are too fragile to be connecting and unconnecting them all the time.
Fill us in a little better on the intended purpose, there may be a better idea, or better explanation of this one.
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

[quote="Big Blue TO/\/\"]
Still a little fuzzy on the purpose of this, you want control from the trunk in-case you are carjacked? you wanting to remove and replace the front head when in bad areas? DO NOT plan on this, the pins and clips are too fragile to be connecting and unconnecting them all the time.
Fill us in a little better on the intended purpose, there may be a better idea, or better explanation of this one.[/quote]

Well, to do stupid things, like kick on the PA with some kind of stupid audio loop "this car has been stolen, please notified the authorities" or something.. the other is being able to change the channel and remote control the radio from over a VRS-like setup...

I've been thinking about taking some 900MHz portables and rigging them into the system so that one channel = one radio, since I'm planning on covering 6M, 2M, 70cm, and 900MHz, but I'm a little concerned about using multiple 900MHz radios in proximity of each other. The other idea would be to use the car as a sort of remote base so locally all I need is the 900MHz portable(s) to use the radios outside.

But mostly just because I'm incredibly misguided and like to overengineer things.

So the F/R cable copies all wires from the standard control head? I'm curious as to how much more would be necessary beyond the busy, reset, and data lines...
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Actually, due to the nature of the serial bus used to control everything on these radios, there may be a simpler way to do this, if you don't mind a few trade off's. In theory, you should be able to simply parallel two heads with identical programming with out even telling the radio it has two heads. When you change channels on one head, the other (in theory) should reflect the change. Ditto with volume, siren functions, scan list, etc. The main drawback is that the audio isn't muted at the unused head and it always displays the current state of the radio. Also, the radio doesn't know it even has a second (or third, of fourth, of fifth, etc......) head, so it won't care if one is removed.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”