MARKING RADIOS

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

J_L_COHEN
What radios do you own?: Xtl5000 apx7000 Cdm1550,Ht1250

MARKING RADIOS

Post by J_L_COHEN »

this is just a general question, we are a volunteer fire dept and we have a problem with portable radios disapearing, how does every body mark there radios, do you use paint, engraving, colored cases, ect. we are about to purchase 30 new cp200 radios and the cheif wanted to get some ideas on how to prevent the radios from walking away.
thanks

Jeffrey
Newton Twp Fire & Ems
Jeffrey Cohen
Captain/Communications Officer
Newton Township Fire & Ems
Zanesville, Ohio

! SMOKE DETECTORS SAVE LIVES !
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Have each member plunk down a deposit? :) You want the radio, you pay a deposit? Nah, that probably won't work.

I've seen a number of different techniques. If you buy the 30 from Motorola, they can engrave the portables for you. they do have an engraving division. However, cases are easily swapped out for new ones.

You can also paint the cases/batteries, that might also work to aid in having an identifiable mark.

The most professional route that you can probably go is to having them engraved with your department name.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
firemed9
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Icom

Post by firemed9 »

We have all department radios engraved with the department name, the year bought, and number in the set of radios bought. So, for a new radio, it would say XYZ FD, and under it would be 04-xx. When it is issued, the person it is issued to fills out a form. The form logs their name, company, badge number, the radio number, the radios serial number, the charger number, the speaker mic number and the case number. When they sign that form they are agreeing that if any of the issued equipment is "lost", they will pay for its replacement.
In the event someone does lose an item, it is reviewed by the fire chief to determine whether or not to enforce the replacement cost issue.
Higgy
Lieutenant, FF/EMT-Paramedic
Protective Services Officer

"Train as if your life depends on it, because it does."

No Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Document the serial numbers, when they turn up missing enter them as "Stolen" in NCIC. Don't tell any members you have enetered them as stolen, just sit back and wait, sooner or later the radio will turn up! After it turns up somewhere follow the trail back to the culprit and give em' the boot.

Frank
Susan157

Invisible labeling with ultraviolet light

Post by Susan157 »

:wink:

we have seen many canadian companies
going to the invisible id system.

They post that all equipment has
invisible security on the units.

The special coating must be seen
under an ultraviolet light.

Most groups using this plan have
reported very few losses.
They say thief is down greatly.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Just spray paint them blaze orange, nobody will want to take it!
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

"marking" radios...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Some FDs have stick-on labels made which fit the cutouts on the backs of the radios and look as if they're original equipment. Sure, they can be peeled off, but what you're looking for is a deterrent, and you avoid defacing the radio with engraving. The recordkeeping/NCIC method is great for the long term and it'll work eventually, but the labels I've seen are pretty slick and probably would scare off the average, non-techie, Homer Simpson-type, thief.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
ROSDJS

Post by ROSDJS »

I mark all my radios on the back behind the battery with paint marker. It's not as easily visible and can eventually be removed but it's not readily appearant. I agree with firemed9 on this one...document everything about the radios and who's got em....

Matt
contrak10

Post by contrak10 »

Buy an engraver, paint can be washed off by cleaners these days the only way to be sure is to engrave.
perthcom

Post by perthcom »

Get them Laser engraved.

Some mechanical engravers are the equivalent of taking a jack hammer to the radio! lol

Laser engraving does no harm to the radio

8)
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

additionally, make sure they all have the correct radio's serial number appear in the CPS/RSS, and save the codeplugs. I haven't seen the RSS/CPS for the new CP series, it may even have a memo field. On top of that, once the inventory is created, print a copy of model/serial for all the local shops, and give to their manager. Ask them to check against that list any time a yahoo comes in for programming on his new "radio I just got off ebay"
There is also a national radio databse, for when it does disappear (on batlabs main site)
There are pros and cons to issued radios. If you are a volley agency, you can issue Minitors and leave the HT's in the trucks, but same probs ocurr, and some others too.
I agree with careful engraving, special programming, and a good list. Have a sit-down with members when they are issued. Scare them, bottom line.
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Where can you typically get laser engraving done?
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

JOHN 1807 wrote:Where can you typically get laser engraving done?
Where else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=46744
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

Wow, If I had that thing I`d have to laser engrave everything- radios, the dog , the wife, ya know
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

Where's the steering wheel and the sink? :D
I can't afford the shipping on that one....
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!
Mike in CT

engraving

Post by Mike in CT »

since changeout of a front cover is relatively easy, we engrave the SIDE of the portable (the "spine")

this usually is a pretty good deterrent.

Mike in CT
KM1R

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”