VHF Trunking, Recommend a radio

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

VHF Trunking, Recommend a radio

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

I need reccommendations for a VHF Digital Trunking Apco25 compliant radio base/mobile, and ultimately handheld. It is coming down the pike here in Wyoming, and was handed info from the state, and my director wants me to get on this noW.
Thanks.

Motorla preferrably, I don't care for Kenwood. Midland is an option, GE too....
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Check your PM's, I have a few different ideas for the equipment.
Regards,
Steve
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Astro Saber or XTS

Personally, I favor the AS3...
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
JohnG

Post by JohnG »

007 wrote:Astro Saber or XTS
Personally, I favor the AS3...
The Astro Saber won't do P-25 trunking (9600 cc) on the VHF band. Neither will XTS-3000 or Astro Spectra. You'll need one of the latest XTS, XTL or Astro Spectra Plus radios for this.
JohnG

Post by JohnG »

What you say about the Astro Saber (also applies to Astro Spectra) is true, but only for the 800 MHz band. For any P-25 "OBT" trunking you will need one of the newer radios.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

What radio?

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Am I wrong, or is it not true that Astro Sabers went out of production as of more than a year ago?
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Re: What radio?

Post by 10-95 »

Tom in D.C. wrote:Am I wrong, or is it not true that Astro Sabers went out of production as of more than a year ago?
I beleive you are correct Tom. They are only being produced in basements now.

Frank
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

For what it's worth:

Motorola today released the Astro 25 trunked integrated voice and data system. The system, which is compliant with the Project 25 standard, provides public-safety organizations with both voice and data messaging over a single wireless communications infrastructure, the company said. The system also provides encryption key assignment over system radio channels and enhanced network security tools. The Astro 25 currently operates in the 700 MHz band for voice-only operation, and in the 800 MHz, UHF and VHF bands for voice-and-data operation. It supports seven zones and 20,000 data users, Motorola said.

taken from:http://iwce-mrt.com/ar/radio_motorola_r ... /index.htm
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

JohnG wrote:What you say about the Astro Saber (also applies to Astro Spectra) is true, but only for the 800 MHz band. For any P-25 "OBT" trunking you will need one of the newer radios.
John G is correct. Things are different in the lower bands...the trunking technologies usually take a few years to trickle down from 800MHz to UHF/VHF. In this case, too late to have the XTS3000/Astro Saber/Astro Spectra to have 9600bps trunking.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”