Unitrol Minisiren?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jedi Series Rox.

Unitrol Minisiren?

Post by Jedi Series Rox. »

Well, i got rid of my Touchmaster Delta... it was okay while it lasted and i'm thinking of a replacement, no whelen or code3 either. I'm not considering them at all as of this time, I am really thinking of getting a fedsig/unitrol MS4000 (Minisiren) but are they worth it?
Has anyone had experience with these units?
Are the tones similar to the touchmaster or touchmaster delta ones?
I'm on a really low budget and the MS4000 Looks worth it... i just wanna know if the tones are "junk" compared to the touchmaster models...

"JsR".
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

hmm

Post by jedi_saber »

I have used and installed 2-3 MS4000s. They are extremely easy to hook up with 4 wires (+/-, 2spkr wires)...
Things to consider: To my knowledge, this will only drive one, not two 100w speakers. There is no horn ring or handsfree function, so everything will have to be controlled over the 2 rocker switches (Wail/Off/Yelp) and (Horn/Off/Manual). Your tones are wail, yelp and phaser (yelp with manual switch pressed) and airhorn.
Don't be fooled, this thing doesn't sound anything like a unitrol. The yelp almost sounds like a smartsiren...

If you are on a budget and can get this cheap, I suppose it would work. But kudos to anyone representing with genuine unitrol noise boxes!! 8)

I have not tried this, so maybe someone here may have insights: The oldschool unitrol 80k amps go on ebay as cheap as $5-$30...and the wires are all hot stamped. Sometimes I wonder if there is a way to hook that puppy up to a speaker and your own set of switches. That would a) be a cheap alternative, and b) let you keep true unitrol sound.

Btw, I have a complete and pristine condition Unitrol Omega siren set up with 8102 top of the line controller(slide switch, 8 accessory buttons, rear brake cut-off etc, PA) I will be selling soon... Talk about a bitchin lights and sirens unit, if you are interested. Not as cheap as the mini siren...but hey, this is the rolls-royce of controllers for lights and siren :lol:

Hope this helps.
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

Jedi,

Yes you can use the unitrol 80K/H as an undercover siren. Ive done it plenty of times. As long as you have the correct molex plug and pins its just a matter of hooking up the right tones to 12+
rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by rwo978 »

Got an 80K in my truck right now with a homemade switch panel (Radio Shack stuff). Hardest part was making the 10+ ft wiring harness to go from the switches to the amp, under the seat. Works great, small unmarked box (I know how it functions though), amp under seat......... and it still sounds like a Unitrol. I think I've got maybe $20 into it ($5 for amp off eBay, $15 on parts for switches and harness).

I just wish I could figure out how to get a PA mic hooked up to work. Any electrical experts on this?
Ryan
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

Hmm, FFParamedic and rwo, thanks! [Stroking chin]: I think I found myself a new project, hehe. 8)
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Re: hmm

Post by RESCUE161 »

jedi_saber wrote:There is no horn ring or handsfree function, so everything will have to be controlled over the 2 rocker switches
I can't vouch for the MS4000, but I have an old FS MS3000 with the same dual rocker switches. I only needed the air horn to function from the vehicles horn switch, so I opened it up and made my own "horn-ring" wires to do this. I really enjoyed that siren. The PA went out on it while it was under warrantee. I sent it back to Federal Signal and it came back with my alternate wiring still in place...LOL
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

Jedi,

Here is the PDF file. From Unitrol. .I actually have a factory plug that was designed for undercover somewhere in the basement. I have an 80H that I was going to put in the Jeep at one time

http://www.unitrol.com/pdf/80k.pdf

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”