Spectra mics

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Spectra mics

Post by rwo978 »

Can one, or I should say, is one, able to use a cord for a Spectra radio/mic and install it onto another Motorola mic head, say a Mitrek or Syntor. Would the wire and terminals line up? Is the same mic head and guts used with different cords/plugs for different radios and different model numbers? Basically, to sum it up, are the mic heads interchangable if different cords are installed on them?
Ryan
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

it should work, as long as you're able to connect the wires, spectra mics have push-on pins, a lot of the other mics have solder in wires. If you cut the pins off the spectra cord the wires are tinsel which is very hard to work, so you should avoid that if possible.
rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by rwo978 »

MMMMMMMMMM, sounds like a project I want to avoid. Was thinking about getting Spectra cords and some other model mic and trying to put the cords and mics together.

I keep getting siped last minute for mics on eBay and I don't want to pay over $35 for a mic, which is the only part we're missing to complete my brother's radio. Anyone got one lying around, condition doesn't matter, just as long as it's working. Looking at $20 or less, plus shipping or course.

Thanks!!
Ryan
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Yeah, I've been following it on and off again and seeing schtupid things myself. For instance:

Spectra mic, new: $45 MSS
Spectra mic, used: $35 min
Spectra mic cable: $41 MSS
VIP <-> DEK cable: $46 MSS

No matter how you swing it, they're going to get you for $40 from the MSS for that blasted connector. Economies of scale dictates that that's the cheapest part of the radio since it's mostly like to be replaced.
Will

Post by Will »

Up, the Mic takes the most wear and tear.

I have a BIG box full of Mics of all types, even all black /\/\ mics..no Spectra or Advanced Maratrac mics. If you have the correct Spectra mic cable I'll gladly put it on one of the Mics out of the BIG box.. I'll even test it.
ricciticcitembo

Post by ricciticcitembo »

SlimBob- Yes, I noticed the same thing. I had a Hell of
a time trying to get those Damn Spectra mic/dek plugs. Ended up
just buying them from Monty. Figured that was better than FleaBay.
I was always getting Sniped too on Epay and it just wasn't worth
all of the agravation to go in that direction. What a Pain in the wallet.

Will- I might have to take you up on that offer for a Black Mic. That sounds cool.
I fixed my 800 Specta myself by simply replacing ALL of those damm
electolytic caps on the command board and the RF board.

BUT- I have this old solid state Becker radio (From an old Mercedes)
that has Long Wave, Short Wave, AM and FM.
I used the radio for a few years and it was fine until....
Long Wave and FM works. Short Wave and AM does not work.
It might just need cleaning. Or it might be something else. I don't know.
It WAS my favorite radio. Could you Fix it for me???
I am afraid to try to fix it myself for fear of I don't know what the
hell I'm doing. I almost sprayed the Bandswitch with Tuner Cleaner,
but I thought better of it, and did not do anything.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”