Centracom II upgrades

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ffhoov

Centracom II upgrades

Post by ffhoov »

I have a few questions for you Centracom experts out there. First of all, I have little experiance with Centracom equipment. I am responsible for a Two possition CCII system that is currently installed and working for a fire department. The department was given a lot of equipment from another system from a larger city that had been removed from service years ago. The system as installed now has the traditional CCM's installed, however the equipment given to them has mostly DCCM's. Is it possible to configure the CCII to use these DCCM's and display the channel name on the display? I have looked in the programming of the OMI board but cannot find options for the DCCM, I suppose it's possible I don't have the latest programming proms. I know that the Centracom II+ can use the DCCM's. What is involved in upgrading a Centracom II to a Centracom II+? Is it just replacing the OMI cards with the newer TOMI cards? This is a fairly basic system with currently five conventional channels but they want to add a few more someday, there are no Aux I/O or any other options that I know of, only radio BIM's. So, in summery, can I use the DCCM's on their console or am I wasting my time? Any help would be appriciated.

Eric
xmo

Post by xmo »

6809 OMI based CCII consoles do not support DCCM's.

You can upgrade the console to Series II+ by replacing the OMI cards with TOMI cards. These also require AEI cards for the audio, since the real estate [physical card size] did not provide enough space for the computational and audio circuitry to all fit on one card as they now do on the current COIM.

The Series II+ supports the DCCMs. They can perform several functions such as displaying the channel name as assignable resources. They can be associated with an MDC signalling channel [BIM + MDC modem] to display unit IDs and aliases.

You will need the 'Y' cables to connect the AEI audio and the TOMI data circuits into a single seven pair cable to the op positions. The addition of the AEI cards [usually placed in the slot adjacent to the TOMI] may cause you some card relocation and cage capacity issues.

You will need to verify that your BIM firmware is Series II + compatible. You will also need the Series II+ field PROM programmer RSS package. TOMI cards can be equipped with EPROM or EEPROM storage so you you will need to make that determination. EPROM's are programmed on a stand alone programmer such as a Logical Devices PromPro8 which connects to the PC that is running the RSS. EEPROMs program with a cable connection to the CEB.

If you do any preprogrammed paging, one advantage of the TOMI based systems is that the pages are stored in EEPROM rather than RAM so they don't go away if you power down the CEB or remove the op card from the cage.

You could also consider contacting Motorola and doing an upgrade to GOLD [use COIM cards]
ffhoov

Post by ffhoov »

Thanks for the info! Ok, that being said, how do I know if my BIM firmware is Series II+ compatible? Which firmware version (and up) is? Space is not an issue, I have the room for the extra cards if needed. Is the plug for the 'Y' cable right on the AEI card then? Option B, if I upgraded to the Gold COIM cards, what else would I need to update, can I still use the old button and LED console with the DCCM in place?

I'm beginning to think getting the DCCM's to work is going to be more work (and money) than it's worth, although it would be nice as there has been talk of using MDC signaling in the future and the displays would be great for that.

Thanks for your help.
Eric
Zaputil

Post by Zaputil »

Eric,
There is a CC II upgrade planner document that tells you everything you need to about firmware compatibiltily issues to upgrade to the Gold series. John should have that at the office.

Scott
Alan

Post by Alan »

We will be pulling out a 2 position CCII+ with 6 channels that have DCCM's installed. I don't know the disposition of the equipment yet, but I expect it will do for disposal (lot sale or auction). This model is programmed with CCII software.
It presently in full operational condition. They are moving dispatch centers and are putting in new consoles.

I can keep you informed. It should sell cheap as there should be little to no local interest in it.
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

Alan-
If the original poster is not interested, I AM. Please also keep me posted on it as well.

Tom Waters
Wyoming LIFE FLIGHT
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”