Alphanumeric Paging System FOR EMS

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ericsze

Alphanumeric Paging System FOR EMS

Post by ericsze »

I'm looking to build a paging system to dispatch EMS on a college campus. The coverage area spans about 10 miles from the dispatch center, which is on lower campus. The campus is on a hill, so it is acceptable to place the transmitter towards the top if a RF link is going to be used. Anyone have any ideas on how to spec out a system, where to go looking, etc.?

Thanks!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I'll comment a bit on this, mostly because I'm involved in a college EMS organization.

Currently they are dispatched using Campus Safety as the primary call taker for a call. We are also a county 911 subscriber, so we too can get calls through 911. Our county also has the advantage of already having a paging system that probably accomplishes the same thing your looking to do.

Primary dispatch is done through the use of QCII tones. We have thought severl times about leaving an alphamate in dispatch, but training the several officers (who don't see much dispatch time) as well as getting the current full time dispatchers to get the QCII paging right. One of my favorite quotes:

"Oh there were two buttons on the console... I didn't know the difference, so I just choose whichever one I felt like"

Thankfully most of us listen to both our alert and group pages.

Anyway - enough about our issues.

POCSAG is probably the cheapest route you can go. If you want to have a simple system where you have a dispatcher type in a call and page it out, consider using a provider like Arch, as they will actually setup group pages and should work with you setting up a set of pagers. Problem is it's not as cheap as running your own system.

There are several programs for windows that have the ability to both encode and decode POCSAG. You'll need a transmitter that allows you to put clean audio into the radio, usually requires a "data ready" radio of sorts. There are a couple of amateur radio TNC's that actually support POCSAG in the $300-$400 range.

A while ago we wanted to tackle the same project, except this time with the amateur radio club. We aquired 5-6 advisor pagers on 900mhz, recrystaled them for 900mhz ham, and found a transmitter. Using POC32 for the PC, we could page eachother. The project never got to the point where it had code written so you could email page yourself, or really never made it the point where it was externally hooked up. Hard to justify having it if you couldn't send remote pages.

So it can be done cheaply, but for doing ambulance related stuff I'd consider a bigger carrier for better coverage, but also using QCII pagers, or something with some decent backup as if your pagers go out, so does your ability to cover calls.

If the county system here goes down, we still have our tone pagers.

SO in the end, you can build your own cheaply, but if your going to build a system like this that puts lives on the line, consider hiring a consultant to best help you build a system that best reflects your needs. I don't think this is a good do it yourself project (while it's quite possible.)

-Alex[/quote]
gafd6913

Post by gafd6913 »

First I want to say "hi" to the board. I've spent a (very) long time lurking and now (with some more dispatch experience) am going to speak up again.

My county in western NC just went live with a CAD system in April. Only one municipality in the county had had a CAD system - and it was out dated. All other county agencies had to keep written records of calls (punch time cards and such). So after much hard work the county finally implimented a multi-agency, multi-district, and multi-jurisdictional CAD system.

Ok, enough of the back story. In reply to the original post, all agencies in the county use VHF for primary communications. The agency that I work for handles all volunteer fire as well as county-wide EMS, rescue, S.A.R., and special operations dispatch. The EMS units, rescue squad units, and volunteer (and 2 paid) fire departments all use QCII with minitor pagers for primary dispatch.

Now to tie the first part with the last part. With implimentation of the new CAD system, alpha paging is now supported and automatic. i.e. When unit "69FD" is dispatched in CAD (on the computer) an alpha page containing the district, nature code, street address, two closest cross-streets, and EMD and/or situation code are automaticaly paged to alpha pagers (most through Arch) or text messaging enabled cell phones through the web-based clients provided by the messaging provider.

So, in summary:
If your agency has a CAD system, contact your system administrator to discuss the availability of automatic alpha paging. If you don't have a CAD system, or it is not able to provide this service here's an alternative:
First, go through Arch or Metrocall or a good alpha numeric paging provider. Try to get a discount rate since you are an agency, most providers have such deals. Make sure that WCTP is enabled on your account, this will allow you to send pages over the web. Then, purchase a copy of NotePager Pro (http://www.notepager.com) set up the WCTP carrier information. After that, just add users, create groups, get the program the way you need it set up. The GUI of Notepager Pro is extreamly efficiant and easy to learn how to use.

I know I've said a lot here, but I've got to make up for lost time :-)
If you have any questions, just PM me.
Tim Coleman, EMD/EMT-I
Burke EOC - Telecommunicator - C-10
Glen Alpine Fire Dept. - First Responder - 6913
chtucker

Post by chtucker »

Following industry standards.... NFPA 1221 specifically requires that the "system" (i.e. radio network) be owned and maintained by the agency.

Utilizing a private carrier, even with priorty que, is asking for trouble. What happens in a disaster, are you famillar with their backup power? Can they ensure immediate pages? 9/11 proved this...

As a secondary method of notification, using a private carrier alpha page is appropriate. As a method of PRIMARY notification you are entrusting your patients lives to the wrong people.

I can provide you with excerpts from the NFPA codes if needed. They are certainely not EMS standards, but are very good basis for making decisions.

Additionaly when you calculate the monthly costs of a private service, most likely you would see a return on your investment in less than a few years by doing it yourselves.

Howard
OX

Post by OX »

I've got a Visiplex VS-3100 4-watt encoder sitting in the basement. It's capable of up to 999 combination individual and group capcodes using tone only, numeric and alpha functions. Hook a phone line to it and it will accept standard pager message formats (forgot the techie term for it). You can also buy windows software that links to it via RS232 to do the same function. It can also hardwire to an external high power transmitter if you need more power. All I have is the encoder (with LCD display and keyboard) with 4-watt UHF transmitter, power supply and antenna. It's currently tuned to 467.800.

My cost on these is around $1200 new, it is used and in very good condition. I'll let it go for $600. We use these in hospitals connected to Nurse Call Systems.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Gee, thats strange? NFPA regulating dispatch systems. How does that effect Nexthell and their attempt to take over the 800mhz Puiblic Safety band by moving Public Safety (which includes FD and EMS) onto their system as a primary dispatch?
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

I am currently converting our EMS system here to alpha ability, in conjunction with the hospital's change-over. There are several ways to go, the one I see above closest to what might work best for you is the Visiplex idea. Other similar options are the Motorola People-Finders which are cheaper, Zetron units which are more expensive, and I have access to both, new/used/refurb. The Visiplex IS a good unit as well.
Depending upon WHAT you want to page, I wholly agree, you MUST maintain the system yourself. If you are using it as your SOLE call alerting system (and you should not, really)
I wholly support QCII (which can be programmed into most handhelds and some mobiles) for the initial call alerting, with the Alpha merely as a backup, containing the Call nature, addy, map page, grid, tac channel, etc

The automated paging via a CAD system is nice, but you are looking at many thousands of dollars for CAD software which does it. I am guessing you don't have much of a budget at all?

Contact me vial email, if you like, I'd be happy to help further, supply pagers, etc.

Tom Waters
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!
KC8UWK

Paging

Post by KC8UWK »

I am a former wildland firefighter and I had a service area that spanded 5 counties. I now volunteer on a search and rescue unit... We have looked at alpha pagers, nextel paging and voice...
Currently my SAR unit uses Alpha pagers and I have nothing good to say about them. ON one evening we had a one hour delay on the system do to high traffic. On top of that the price of the pager was dumped onto the volunteer and that required use (even if we used a all call number) we still had to get a private number on our pagers also... That coast about $15 a month...
During 9/11 our pagers had a two and a half hour delay because the system was backed up...
Voice pagers by far are a good fail safe... Their are mobile radios out their that can page out just like a dispatchers radio can do... I would stick to a voice pager and radios over the use of Alpha... In my counties EMS system or for that fact in the state the Alpha pagers are a seconday paging...

Good Luck
Heath

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”