Vertex Radios

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc2fmi

Vertex Radios

Post by kc2fmi »

First of all, I have to say that the motorola ht-750 is a joke of a radio. Kids toys are more durable and dependable.

Last year, I purchased 6 new motorola ht-750 radios from a local /\/\ dealer (which was recommended by him), to use at work for pulling computer cabling and fiber. As of today, we have only two working ht-750 radios left. Our radios do get used and banged up a bit, but certainly not more than the fire or police radios. Also they are not used everyday. This whole situation has left a stale taste in my mouth for motorola. Will they continue to manufacture garbage for the medium business price bracket? If they are only shooting for the high end sales, the same thing will happen to them as it did to sgi.

For the price of one used ht-1000, I can buy a brand new vertex vx-160 with three year warrantee. I'm not trying to badmouth motorola equipment, but I am trying to explore all of my options and get the best tool for the job for the best price. I am impressed with the features and technology that the /\/\ rigs have, and I personally own a ht-1250 that works without problems.

Anyone have any ideas? I am testing some vertex radios out now, and I am very, very impressed. What do you think about the vertex radios, more specifically, the vx-160,vx-600, and vx-800. How do they compare with the big /\/\?

Thanks guys.
NodrogCop
Batboard $upporter

Post by NodrogCop »

I haven't used HT750's enough to comment on them - I will leave that for others.

I have, however, used a VX600 extensively for public safety work. It's a very solid radio, dependable, and I had no problems with mine. The biggest feature I noted was that the audio was excellent. Vertex also makes it easy to program your own radios. The only complaint I had is that there is no user programmable scan on the 600/900 series - I don't know about the others.

All that being said, however, Vertex can be a MAJOR pain in the a$$ when it comes to service. Several here have their own nightmares. My 600 was shipped out for what turned out to be a faulty channel selector switch. It was five and a half WEEKS until I got it back. For a company that seems to be on the rise, their service needs a major overhaul.

Personally - I'd go with the used HT1000 than the new vx160. HT1000s are the last of the stalwart Motorola radios.

My 2 cents.

Gordon
If all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
USPSS

Post by USPSS »

Try KENWOOD, very durable and good feature set's, prices are right also.
Stan Glass

Government & Entertainment Division Manager (Kenwood)
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

Early this year we ended going with vx-180's to suppliment out fleet of HT1000s. I desperately tried to get HT1000's but they ended up being more than twice the price even with programming setups and warrenties. With money being tight and we needing to get as many new radios out there as possible we really didnt have a choice.

However, the vx-180s contained all the features we would use in the HT1000 and and even has an 8 character (i think) display and 5 programmable keys. Final price, i believe was $285 per unit. Not bad.

So far (its only been a couple months) they have held up very well and everyone has been happy with their tx/rx performance which in some cases has surpassed our old HT1000s.

In our case Motorola just plain priced themselves out which I seem to be hearing more and more of with smaller customers. I guess they only care about putting up their $30 million astro systems and could care less about selling 14 radios.

Mike
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

The Vertex VX900 gives an HT1000 the run for the money if you want a full feature, durable 512 channel portable. It also has 700mW AF, available ultra-hi cap LI-ON batteries, and a host of other features. The VX600 is a scaled down version of it, and runs circles around the Waris crap. And you won't have to play games to get RSS or cables from Vertex either, and they aren't overpriced like Ma M.

Also worth considering is the Kenwood TK290/390 portables. Kenwood has a larger service network than Vertex, but both are excellent radios considering the competition from Ma M: chinese built crap at outrageous prices.

I have put a VX-900 side by side with an HT1550 and the 900 beat it out hands down, much better, clearer and LOUDER RX AF, better RX sensitivity and the battery life of the 900 is superior to the Waris hands down. Did I mention it is less expensive and has the factory 3 year parts and labor warranty?

With the Jedi series slowly being phased out for chinese built crapola from Motorola, the Vertex and Kenwood radios sure are appealing...
contrak10

Post by contrak10 »

The Vertex Standard VX-180, 160. They are last long and can take a beating. The audio quality is excellent. However one thing that I have noticed with the HT-1250 is that it can RX and TX in areas that the Vertex cant, so im also caught in a buying dead lock.
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

If you are looking at the VX-180, then you need to look at Vertex's newest Portable, the VX-420. This portable is the same size as the vx-180, has an alpha display, can Decode AND encode 2 tone and has Encryption built into it. I gave one to a department that i do a lot of business with and they loved it. Look it up on vertex's main website, i think they have posted the specs on it already.

Thanks

Mike Wright
Green Hills Comm.
Vertex Standard Sales-Service
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

radiomidwest

vertex

Post by radiomidwest »

The Vertex VX-420 is a really cool little radio. A lot of bells and whistles for the money. Works well. excellent audio. Good TX and RX.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

Is it truely voice encryption(digital) or just pain voice inversion? Like the Walmart radios.
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:Is it truely voice encryption(digital) or just pain voice inversion? Like the Walmart radios.
Voice Inversion.

Vertex 420
Mikey
What radios do you own?: CDM1550 LS+, HT1250, MCS2000

Post by Mikey »

But you can buy an option board for the VX-420 that makes the encryption "Motorola Rolling Code" Instead of Band Inversion
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

But is still just voice inversion, makes it hard for live decoding, but is still decodeable.
Big Blue TO/\/\
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Blue TO/\/\ »

so a question regarding ENCODE of 2-tone... I had an Icom a while back, was the 1st radio I ever saw that did ENcode. But... you could only program ONE tone (set of tones) for it to transmit.

Anyone know how many the 420 will do? I am ITM for a new radio as we speak and this would fit my bill nicely.

TIA

Tom
KE4RXM
You don't drink beer? Use Motorola RSS, you WILL soon...

PLEASE use EMAIL over PM. Much Easier for Me. Thanx!
radiomidwest

vertex

Post by radiomidwest »

Just one set of tones.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I'll have to check but it should do more than one set. That is the portable version on the 4200 mobile and it will do several sets of tones.

Eric
radiomidwest

vertex

Post by radiomidwest »

I have both the 4200 and the 420 sitting here, new. I have a few out to customers. they love them. I just went through the program. Only one on the PT, multiple on the Mobile.[/img]
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I've never heard anything really bad about Vertex's actual products. It is their service department that is really bad right now. They can't seem to keep up with their work load and they don't seem to be trying to fix that problem either. It's for this reason that we are not purchasing vertex radios for the FD.

I do have experience with Kenwood radios and Kenwood service. Both are phenomenal. I could smash a HT1550 top pieces with a TK-390.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
raymond345

Vertex Mobiles

Post by raymond345 »

We had to repair many vertex mobiles.
The soldered parts would crack and need resoldering.
That was the main fault.
Will

Post by Will »

I have had several failed VX160/180 radios that the solder on the microprocessor and support chips cracked. Same thing as Raymond describes. Vertex fixed them under the three year warranty, replaced antennas and batteries, no questions asked.
I do have an inside contact in the Vertex service/support department, and I can tell you they repair a lot of radios at the Cyperess facility.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

The fact that they'll fix anything with no questions is nice. But that still doesnt help while you're without the radio. The radios shouldn't be breaking at such an alarming rate to start.

If the service shop is fixing a LOT of radios under warranty, and many for the same repeating problem, the thing should be avoided. I've said the same thing about these hookiedookie cars from wherever - sure, the 10/100,000 warranty is nice, but that still doesn't help you get to work while it's in the shop for the umpteenth time.

Just my 3 cents (inflation you know) worth.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”