Dash light for cars?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiokid

Dash light for cars?

Post by radiokid »

Hello, What kind of dash light would you suggest for a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant? It is for my brother who is a police officer and so I don't want it to be too obvious. Also, I am thinking of adding amber lights to the Aurora for Weather Spotting, so I would probably get the same light. So any ideas are helpful thanks. Good Day, Radio Kid
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Do a search in the vehicle forum for the word "dash" and you'll get more information than you'll ever need.

Whelen Talon, hands down.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
PriorityOne

Post by PriorityOne »

2nd that, nothing even comes close to the Talon in price and light output. Plus its the same price for any color.
Adam

Post by Adam »

TIR3s would be very discreet and mountable inside or outside. $60 a pop you cannot beat the lightout put at twice the price.

Check them out:
http://www.10-4warning.com/shopping/rs-03zcr.htm

Click here for the video:
http://www.10-4warning.com/video/

Also, the 1st version of the slimlighter, for $134 is a great price as well and would be awesome if you're running amber.
nypd

Post by nypd »

i use to have a 99 galant... i had a pa300 in the glove compartment..and a whelen cadet on the dash.... it did the trick
im always looking for t-band radio's... especially sabers..
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

Thanks for the ideas, I have installed the TIR3's into a Mustang in the Fake Hood Scoop. I may look into those. Thanks again.

Good Day, Radio Kid
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

Adam,

Can you post a video of the microlite vs a tir3, we are trying to decide what to buy.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Short answer: Yes, I'll post a video of Whelen TIR3 vs shome leds.

Long:
I can already tell you that TIR3s will blow any led Sho-Me makes out of the water, including their new "hyper brites"

I am hopefully getting a red TIR3 tomorrow and can eventually get a video of a sho-me slimlight vs a TIR3 outside and then through my 20% tint

My friend had 5 slimlights in red/red that are plenty bright dead on, but after he got his tint, he had to move them to the windshield as they didn't punch the tint. I have made a thread on this very issue here: [url]ttp://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=35439&highlight=sho-me+TIR[/url] and another thread here: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=23872

Now not to totally knock sho-me, or their hyper brites. Sho-Me enables many people, volunteers to get good lights at a fair price. BUT.. if you have the money, it's better spent elsewhere.

ALSO.. Whelen TIR3s are $60, gen3 led, punch through tint, much more intense, wider angles, self contained flasher with 10 patterns and synchronizable.

Sho-Me hyperbrites, not self contained ($ extra flasher), larger than TIR3s, and only ONE of three leds is aimed right at you.

left of hyperbrite looks like this: Ooo
dead on: oOo
right of hyperbrite: ooO
The result is not my preference. I want all three leds punching out their max dead on (OOO)

Now your two sho-me led microlite kit is $100 with flasher and a little switch. That used to be a nice deal for LEDs, but I dont think so anymore with the TIR3s in the market.

If you want the most bang for your buck on LEDs, the Whelen TIR3s cannot be beat.

Now, before I get nasty PMs from you sho-me lovers and dealers.. you just wait for my video. It will confirm what I've said. And furthermore, I'm not a whelen dealer.
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Adam wrote:Short answer: Yes, I'll post a video of Whelen TIR3 vs shome leds.

Long:
I can already tell you that TIR3s will blow any led Sho-Me makes out of the water, including their new "hyper brites"

I am hopefully getting a red TIR3 tomorrow and can eventually get a video of a sho-me slimlight vs a TIR3 outside and then through my 20% tint

My friend had 5 slimlights in red/red that are plenty bright dead on, but after he got his tint, he had to move them to the windshield as they didn't punch the tint. I have made a thread on this very issue here: [url]ttp://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=35439&highlight=sho-me+TIR[/url] and another thread here: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=23872

Now not to totally knock sho-me, or their hyper brites. Sho-Me enables many people, volunteers to get good lights at a fair price. BUT.. if you have the money, it's better spent elsewhere.

ALSO.. Whelen TIR3s are $60, gen3 led, punch through tint, much more intense, wider angles, self contained flasher with 10 patterns and synchronizable.

Sho-Me hyperbrites, not self contained ($ extra flasher), larger than TIR3s, and only ONE of three leds is aimed right at you.

left of hyperbrite looks like this: Ooo
dead on: oOo
right of hyperbrite: ooO
The result is not my preference. I want all three leds punching out their max dead on (OOO)

Now your two sho-me led microlite kit is $100 with flasher and a little switch. That used to be a nice deal for LEDs, but I dont think so anymore with the TIR3s in the market.

If you want the most bang for your buck on LEDs, the Whelen TIR3s cannot be beat.

Now, before I get nasty PMs from you sho-me lovers and dealers.. you just wait for my video. It will confirm what I've said. And furthermore, I'm not a whelen dealer.
Any progress on that video? I'm considering some TIR3's for inside (and outside) my truck and I'm curious t see them in action, especially with tint!

Thanks!
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Adam

Post by Adam »

I plan on getting it tomorrow. Unless something unexpected arises I'll get it.

Then I plan to wire it and take a video point the tir3 at the camera from outside the car then pulling it inside behind the tint. Well that's the plan anyway. Since I'm going with my friend whom I've finally talked into upgrading from his sho-me slimlights, I'll try to do the same with them as with the tir3s.

He said he's never seen anything shine though tint like that, now this was a dusk so I'm holding off comment. But he's in love with the tir3s. He said.. all the lights we saw at Gall's he could look straight into, some he had to squint, but he said the tir3s he couldnt even look at. I was behind the scenes so I didnt get my retinas fried.

Til tomorrow.. er.. late today or Thursday.. =)
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Cool - my bad - I found this thread through the search function and neglected to notice the dates posted, so I thought I had found a long-lost thread...didn't realize it was recent!
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Adam

Post by Adam »

No problem.. I will try to get those videos tomorrow. I just got home not long ago.

Man.. the TIR3 is so absolutely incredibly bright I can't begin to explain it. Same goes for the Whelen Slimlighter "M" aka TIR6. I closed my eyes and it shined through my eyelids and was still too bright. It casts a light far far out and put my 20w hideaways to shame.
gtl7001

dashlight

Post by gtl7001 »

If you are looking for a single dashlight as your only warning light I would go with a Federal Firebeam halogen revolving light with cigarette power plug, go with the dual speed version with a clear lens and then choose the colored filters you want. It is fairly cheap about $60 The TIR3 are nice but they are nearly 55$ a pop and need to be permanently or semi-permanently mounted somewhere and attached to a switch or swith box. Talons are great too but fairly expensive at over $200 for a dual lens or $135 for a single lens model, both come with a cigarette power plug.

If you are starting out due to financial concerns and your agency and state laws allow you to have more than one warning light go with the Firebeam first and then add the Talons/TIR3's as funds become available.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”