Minitor Relay Box-Can you ID this brand???

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mg3610

Minitor Relay Box-Can you ID this brand???

Post by mg3610 »

Can anyone identify this component by brand name and model# if it is a manufacturered unit or does it appear home built?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

It is a standard amplified base/charger for the Minitor 3/4 pagers.

I have one at home and I have one at the station which activates the station lights and station alarm when it is activated.

You can get them for around a $70 or so upgrade instead of the standard desktop charger when ordering a pager.

Standard /\/\ product.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
mg3610

Post by mg3610 »

I actually am interested in the aftermarket box, not the motorola charger, but thank you.
Vern

Post by Vern »

Looks homemade to me.

Vern
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

Thats not homemade as it maches exactly what the standard charger amplifier looks like.

I looked at that one and looked at mine and minus the Motorola label and maybe lights on the front above the area where the pager locks in it looks like a standard pager/amp.

The power supply does not look like the standard one.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
Bob

Post by Bob »

Methinks he's looking at the 'aftermarket alerting module' which is in the black project box to the right of the charger. That appears to be homemade.

It would actually be pretty easy to duplicate using either a timed latching relay or a relay tripped by a 555 timer circuit.
Hoseman292
What radios do you own?: too many

Post by Hoseman292 »

mg3610 wrote:I actually am interested in the aftermarket box, not the motorola charger, but thank you.
Dunno about a components... probably a few timer relays but defineatly a Radio Shack project box.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... d=270-1806
Batboard $upporter
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Yep, thats definitely a home made job next to the charger unit. I have used many many of those little project boxes.

Not sure if there is a common way that it's built, a schematic going around or what not. But, i think the easiest way would be like Bob mentioned. Just a 555 timer running a relay, you can put a 2N2222 on the output of the 555 for up to 1A load for a flashing light or buzzer, etc.

I would add a reset button to the top of the box so you could manually reset the timer circuit before the predetermined amount of time passes. Easy enough to build. I use a setup with dual 555's for a fan controller on my repeater, just built it last night actually, thought it was about time to make it a bit more sophisticated rather than the fans being on all the time. Though i could have used a 556 dual timer, i used two 555's since i happen to have them on hand.

I built that from an article on the repeater builder site.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
RRrobby

Minitor Alerting module

Post by RRrobby »

Silly question: Why don't you ask the guy that has it for sale? His ad said to e-mail him for details-RRRobby
FDC_100

Post by FDC_100 »

Just to answer everyone's questions, yes, it's an aftermarket "Alerting Module". Radio shack project box, with a timed relay, DIN connector, power supply and strobe.

I spent a lot of time looking for a unit like this. I posted questions on this site, I searched the web, and even called Motorola shops to find out if someone sold this unit. I came to the conclusion that if you want one, you have to build one. A few guys by me wanted these units also, so I bought enough parts to make for myself, a few friends, and to build a couple extra that I put on ebay.

I hope this answered everyone's questions.
Hoseman292

Post by Hoseman292 »

FDC_100 wrote:Just to answer everyone's questions, yes, it's an aftermarket "Alerting Module". Radio shack project box, with a timed relay, DIN connector, power supply and strobe.

I spent a lot of time looking for a unit like this. I posted questions on this site, I searched the web, and even called Motorola shops to find out if someone sold this unit. I came to the conclusion that if you want one, you have to build one. A few guys by me wanted these units also, so I bought enough parts to make for myself, a few friends, and to build a couple extra that I put on ebay.

I hope this answered everyone's questions.
Now that's a brilliant idea. I'm thinking mother M might wanna race you to the finish line. I can picture the same project box with a large "/\/\" plastered right in the middle of it for sale as an option with the Minitor V. :lol:

Hey.. thanks for dropping by and letting everyone know about your project.

Tim
Batboard $upporter

Homemade stored voice pager.

Post by Vern »

Here's a poor man's stored voice pager, of course this only works when the pager is in the charger. Wire the contacts from the charger relay to the "memo" button on a telephone answering machine. Set the machine next to the pager. Pager alerts, recorder records a one minute message.
Some machines work better than others, as far as whether a momentary or a timed closure is needed.

Vern
Bob

Post by Bob »

That's a hell of an idea. You could go one step further and use one of those $10 voice storage ICs from Radio Shack and build it into a small PC board.

Something to look into with my copious amounts of free time now...
Hoseman292

Post by Hoseman292 »

Bob wrote:That's a hell of an idea. You could go one step further and use one of those $10 voice storage ICs from Radio Shack and build it into a small PC board.

Something to look into with my copious amounts of free time now...
Radio Shack 20 second voice storage kit:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... 276%2D1323
Batboard $upporter

Post by Vern »

Around here, dispatchers wait 15 seconds (or longer) before they start saying anything. Wonder if there is a version with longer recording times.

If my answering machine was able to detect incoming telephone calls, I could check in remotely. It took a lightning hit, still works, but won't answer. Tossed it in the junkbox until I figured out some use for a half broken machine. It'll store 4 pages then show "full".

Vern

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”