97 Yukon Install Pics

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

97 Yukon Install Pics

Post by rwo978 »

I'm new to posting pics, so hopefully it works. I'm also computer code "dumb", so again, hope this works. I apologive for long post, will be describing all lights/functions, as a lot is homemade or specific to my needs.

I've been an avid reader of posts, but haven't posted too much myself. I'm fulltime LEO and inactive volunteer emergency services for my home county 200 miles away, thus the equipment. Plus, as with others here, it's a hobby, and I like getting stuff to work and look nice.

We'll start front to back. Don't have pics of antennas (1/4 UHF, 2 1/4 VHF on roof front to back, thru glass CB), under hood (100 watt speaker on 2nd battery tray, headlight and grille light flasher), or "rats nest" of LED wires to LED flasher and traffic backer by jack compartment. Also, no LP 6000 up there.

Front exterior: High beam wig wags, Amber grille wig wags, HAWs in turn signals, Amber/Blue Sho-Me LED Slimlighter by mirror.

Mirror view: Slimlighter, area on console (rear air/heat controls) where I'm going to attempt to install my siren controls using a conventional rotating knob and 2 momentary for man and horn, velcro falling off where siren's at now. May also try to hide light controls in sunglasses or garage control area of overhead console.

Homemade controls: Front is for siren with 2 toggles for wail/yelp on one and hi/lo on other, momentary for man and horn. Back is for lighting with 3 dual function controls and 4 on/off controls and master switch. From front to back, dual function switches (amber/red are indicator lights) #1: amber= amber rotators + cig outlet by relay box for minibar/other lighting; red= amber rotators, blue rotators, and cig outlet #2: amber= grille lights, cig outlet in rear compartment and amber side and rear LEDs on standard alternating; red= grille lights, cig outlet rear, amber side and rear LEDs and blue side and rear LEDs, slimlighter with all amber and blue alternating in strobe/action pattern, cig outlet front (in glove box, for Firebeam) #3: right alley one direction and left other, can't remember which way. On/off switches #1= takedowns #2= hideaways front and back #3= headlight flasher #4= traffic backer. Final switch without indicator light is master switch, turns on/off power to individual switches and all lighting functions (on switch to turn on everything). Not pictured, hidden power cutoff switches under dash which cuts ignition power to siren and lights. With them off, nothing functions (handy for wife with large purse or Walmart bags).

Radios: Kenwood UHF (TK860 I think), Yaesu VHF ham, Radio Shack scanner. Can also see the bottom of my work XTS5000 hanging from the cup holder. Radios have constant power, scanner is ignition sensitive. Also, not pictured, on the opposite side of the console, a 3 place cig outlet which is ignition sense.

Rear seat: The biggest headache of my install, getting wires tucked away. From far to near: Homemade light relay center connected to light controls via remote cable. Consists of 10 40 amp auto relays individually fused or circut breaker protected; Unitrol 80K amp, controlled my homemade control head via reomte cable. Am soon going to try to install controls into overhead console. Have jack for PA which still hasn't been installed a year later; Nova (I think) 6x90 power supply, currently only using 4 places for 4 HAWs.

Rear lights, interior view: Sho-me Gen 1 LEDs by the inch. Out each side window = 1 in blue section, 1 in amber section (shown by glass antenna). Out rear, each side = 3 in blue section, 3 in amber section (mounted high), 1 in amber section, 1 inch blue section. All alternate with each other in 2 modes depending on selection: standard and strobe

Rear lights, outside looking in: Just a better view of rear lights. Also doesn't show traffic backer or rear HAWs in taillights.

Also not pictured, LP 6000. I have drilled and tapped a quick connect by the driver's side luggage rack. LP is all light with rotators (B|A|B|A|B) that can be turned on amber only or all. Also has front takedowns, lt/rt alleys,
front/rear amber flashers (wanting to convert them to 3 in LED sections). Bar connects via quick connect plug and bolts to luggage rack. It's rarely on there. Got a Firebeam throw light for slick top lighting.

I really wanted to be covert in my new vehicle. It's been called a SWAT truck cuz you don't see hardly anything til it's lit up. And, even without LP, it really throws a lot of light, lot better than my work CV with Edge and HL Flasher. I tried some movies, but you don't catch any of the LED or strobe stuff and my driveway is angled, so they turned out pretty bad.

Again, sorry for the extremely long post.
Ryan
kccjs268

Post by kccjs268 »

everything looks good. How do you like those Sho-me's by the inch deals in the windows. I was thinking about building a long one for the rear window.
rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by rwo978 »

They're not bad, but they're no TIR or Talon. For someone on a budget, like myself, they do the trick. And, they're pretty versitile. I think what takes away from them on my rig is the privacy tint in the back and sides, cuz the Slimlighter (same deal, different package) up front does great. I've thought about getting an all amber 40 in unit and using a conventional control head for an arrow bar. But, then, haven't had the money.
Ryan
akardam

Post by akardam »

As far as TA's, I've been very happy with my Whelen Dominator TIR3 TA. I have the 8 unit with end flashers. You can get the flashers in any color combination you want (like blue/clear), and if you get the control head from Whelen, you can turn on any combination of functions you want. You can take a look at my previous thread for some pics of the install and the bar in action. I think total, with the bar, head, and switches, I paid about $550 or so.

Other than that, you might consider a console to house all your radios and switches and the like at some point. You've got all that nice floor space there, and you could probably find something that would fit quite nicely. You could probably even include a vehicle charger for your XTS :)

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”