Antenna Mounting Location

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4VDK

Antenna Mounting Location

Post by KG4VDK »

Here's a question for some of you gurus. 2000 Impala, trying to stay totally covert. Can I mount a UHF quarter-wave on the underside of the spare tire well, and get a decent signal in and out? I am also looking for a way to mount 2 VHF 1/4 wave antennas somewhere. Any help would be much appreciated. -Mike
radiokid

Sti-Co

Post by radiokid »

Sti-co makes Glass mounts and Fender mount antennas that look factory. I think they even make VHF/UHF Dual Band. You can try their website, here it is http://www.sti-co.com/.

Radio Kid
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Three 1/4w antenna's do not equal covert on an Impala. No dice.

Go with something like the Sti-co.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
kb3jkp
Banned

Post by kb3jkp »

they also make "license plate antenna's" which are more like dummy loads,from what I hear... but they do "work".. and are totally concealed...
jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

antenex

Post by jrm5265 »

I just bought one of the new ELITE Phanton VHF antennas from Antenex that covers VHF 150-155 available in black and white, this is not the round one this think looks like an oval fish fin and is only about 3" tall we put one on a GM truck thats used for UC work and it looks like an Onstar antenna

works pretty good to
JustaBuff

License Plate antenna / Bumper antenna system

Post by JustaBuff »

We have installed 3 of these for Demo for one of our government clients and they have not had any complaints to date. they happen to be using a pretty good coverage system in our area so not to sure how it might work in some areas that dont have the same level of saturation.
got it from US Communications out of Cali
http://www.911radio.com
FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”