mt2000 software and computer problems

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

mt2000 software and computer problems

Post by jmr3865 »

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR RSS

I am trying to move the mt2000 RSS from my xp computer to an old 95 laptop w/o cd. a few files are too big for the floppy. How do I do it? NO INTERNET ON THE LAPTOP.
JMR
KC2QVO
commtek
Batboard $upporter

Post by commtek »

Parallel port zip drive.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Have you tried zipping up the files? On your XP computer you can use WinZip, which is a free evaluation download, and on the 95 laptop, you can use PKUNZIP, which is the original Dos zip program. You should be able to find PKUNZIP via Google.

If you zip up just the MTSX program files (you might want to zip up or copy your saved codeplugs in a seperate file), they should come out to be about 950k - plenty small enough to fit on a floppy. Copy that over to the laptop, then copy PKUNZIP to the laptop, and then use PKUNZIP to unzip the file. Presto.

Let me know if you have any problems with this proceedure.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

will pkunzip fit on the floppy?
JMR
KC2QVO
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Yep. PKUNZIP is ultra tiny, like 40-something KB.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I tried to look for it. The version I got was 8.56 MB. bigger than a floppy.
JMR
KC2QVO
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

whats the latest version of rss?
JMR
KC2QVO
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

i also have other sofrware that will not go small enough when zipped. any suggestions?
JMR
KC2QVO
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

You could remove the hard drive from the laptop and hook it up as a slave.

Use a laptop drive adapter if your other computer is a desktop. You can get them $3 or so.

Or you could put the laptop drive in a USB enclosure.

You can load a ton of stuff fast. Then put the drive back in the laptop. Sounds harder than it is.
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

this is gonna sound like a dumb comment, but why don't you just use the MT2K disk to load the stuff onto the older computer? It surely has a floppy...and you can just go into the directory and copy the codeplug files and move them by floppy too.

Just a suggestion.
You can only buy so many bags of lime before people begin asking questions...
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

the whole mtsx program comes from motorola on one single floppy, why can't you get it on one?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Because it is an install disk that comes from Motorola that has everything compressed. Once you inflate the files, they go way voer the limits of a floppy. If he had the original install disk, he'd be in great shape.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Just about any compression program (WinXP built-in compression, winzip, winrar, 7zip, etc) will compress the entire MTSX folder small enough to fit onto a floppy...you can also just use Winzip on the old Win95 computer to unzip it, no need to mess with pkunzip if you don't want/need to.

Older versions of Winzip which can fit onto a floppy can be found here:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winzip

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I got the mt2000 software over. It's just the CPS that comes on CD now. That is the problem. The files are too big for the floppy. I tried compressingt the files.
JMR
KC2QVO
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

You could try visiting a site called WOWN.com (World of Windows Networking)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articl ... cmain.html

That will give you the cheap way to use direct cabling to transfer data.

Just another way to get the job done.

It's a PITA, but once set up, you just connet the cable and tranfer, no removing hard drives, zipping files, etc.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

jmr3865 wrote:I got the mt2000 software over. It's just the CPS that comes on CD now. That is the problem. The files are too big for the floppy. I tried compressingt the files.
Ah, you want to move the CPS. Yes, those files will be far too large no matter what. I take it the old computer doesn't have a CD drive? You can probably pick up a used one at a local computer shop for under $10.

Or perhaps you don't have the CD, and just the installation files on your WinXP computer? Easiest thing to do is burn them onto a CD...CD burners are quite cheap these days as well.

Or slave the Win95 hard drive in your WinXP box & transfer the files that way...that's what I'd do if I didn't have the right hardware to do the above.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
pokethegeek

Post by pokethegeek »

You could use a program such as HJSplit which can split a single file into several files then recombined again later. The program itself is small enough to fit on a single floppy. So zip the files you want to move over, split to floppy disk size, copy all the chucks to your other computer and recombine
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

Cheers!

Return to “Radio Programming”