jedi battery life

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bradlington
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

jedi battery life

Post by bradlington »

MT series /gp900 /gp1200-jedi series

How do I fix this problem where the battery does not last on the radio -battery warning after about 3 hrs and 4 hrs the radio is dead.

Is there a setting in the service software to change this.

A number of batteries have been bought all with the same thing .Tried both nicad and nickel metal with their appropriate chargers.

REgards

Brad
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I don't think there is a setting to make the battery die. It's more likely that a physical hardware problem with the radio is sucking the battery down.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Yup, like he said. Unless there's a problem with the radio the only other thing that comes to mind is your duty cycle. Battery longevity spec. is based on 5% TX 5% RX and 90% Standby, so if you're doing a 'real' lot of transmitting and/or full volume receive it's certainlly possible to pull the battery down in 3-4 hrs. What brand batteries and are you 'initializing' them for 1st use ? Usually take about 4 charge/discharge cycles to get the full potential out of a new battery.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Yes, if it were a matter of getting the "low battery" beep after 3 hours and then having the battery last 8, you might look at adjusting the low battery threshold (which is not even an option for most RSS). The fact it's actually dying an hour later tells us either:

1 - The batteries are crap, or

2 - Your duty cycle exceeds 5-5-90 by a fair margin.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
bradlington
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by bradlington »

Good Day All

Thanks for all the comments .

This radio is used by a policeman , which standard practice in our country-repeater traffic does not allow much time for stand-by or battery save mode.Also the volumes are kept at "max" and the transmit cycle is high.

I have read that the 6.03 software has changed the voltage setting from 6.0V to 5.9 in the cenelec models.

I will suggest that he places an additional charger in his vehicle.

Thanks for all the comments .

Regards

Bradley Glen ZS5WT http://members.harc.org.za/zs5wt/
Bradley ZS5WT now ZS5BG

bradlington@yahoo.com
RKG

Post by RKG »

Putting a charger in the vehicle will complicate both vehicle operation and battery management. A simpler solution: get a second battery. Use Batt #1 until it beeps. Do a Code 10 to the station and swap batteries while getting coffee.
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

code 10 is nice, but if he does a 2 and has it and his coffe brought to him its much much more convient... 8)
I TURN THE KNOB, THE LIGHT BLINKS AND IT BEEPS.........THATS ALL IT DOES!!!!!!
PLEASE WORK!!!..just once, thats all...
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

What brand of batteries are you using? I had a similar problem when I bought an aftermarket battery (Axtech-a local shop sells them for $65 instead of the Motorola brand for $95). It would take about an hour to fully charge (nothing unusual) but after only 5 or 6 hours of use, it would chirp and another couple of hours it would die. A real Motorola NTN7143 used under the same conditions lasts a full day, if not more.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

What brand of batteries are you using? I had a similar problem when I bought an aftermarket battery (Axtech-a local shop sells them for $65 instead of the Motorola brand for $95). It would take about an hour to fully charge (nothing unusual) but after only 5 or 6 hours of use, it would chirp and another couple of hours it would die. A real Motorola NTN7143 used under the same conditions lasts a full day, if not more.

Return to “Radio Programming”