MT1000 Programming Problem.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

likimkim
No Longer Registered

MT1000 Programming Problem.

Post by likimkim »

Hi there, I got a MT1000 and a HT600E which both are 99-channel VHF radios. Can I use the aftermark RIB to programme it? I used the same RIB + notebook to programme HT1000/MTS2000/Saber/Syatem Saber before and all can be programmed successfully. However, When I want to read the radio codeplug, it shows bus error. What am I wrong? :(

Please help!!!
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

First, a few more details would be helpful. What are the specs of your computer? Processor speed and series? What OS are you using? What RSS are you using? How are you connecting to the RIB, ie. actual serial port, or a USB to serial adapter? If your RIB will program an HT1000, it should program an MT1000 (the HT600E is basicly the same as the MT1000). Is your RIB to radio cable OEM, aftermarket, or homebrew? Answer these questions, and someone may be able to help you without just shooting in the dark.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

If it's one of those cheaply made aftermarket ribs i would supect it first. This question has come up time and time again, the rib will do some radios just fine but won't do some of the older ones. The Genesis series can be picky when it comes to computer speed, rib design, etc.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Thanks kf4sqb and kb0nly,
I am using the aftermarket RIB and using the serial port to connect the RIB. I successfully programmed a HT1000 before. I need to check my notebook, but if I haven't remember wrongly that is P II/III. The version of the RSS is R03.01.02.

73'
VR2WTF
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ok, well the 03.01.02 should be ok on an early Pentium I as i have used one with it, but the PII/PIII speed might be a problem, especially if your not running PURE DOS... No windows, no dos box in windows.

Just booted up with DOS only.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

The Genesis stuff being older is more likely to want the slower computer. But as for the RIB issue, I've the RIB that worked with the Genesis, Maxtrac, GM300, etc, did NOT work with Jedi - either an HT1000 or MT2000.

So the variations are endless.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

I am running in pure DOS mode to write it. I just programme the Syatem Saber and then run the MT1000 RSS. However, when I use com test, it shows "Serial Bus Communications Error" and I want to read the radio, it tells "Serial Bus Access Error 011". What is the problem?
Thanks~~

73'
VR2WTF
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

The Serial Bus Access Error 011 means there is no communication with the radio.

Sounds stupid, but you did check that the com port is set correctly in computer setup in the MT1000 RSS right? The MT1000 RSS that i use was set to Com 2 by default, scratched my head on that one until i found the computer setup screen in the RSS to change the directories and the com port.

Another thing to check, i had this happen with my rib also, I programmed a ton of mobiles with no problem then went to do a MT and it wouldn't work, Serial Bus errors. I had two serial cables that were 9 to 25 pin and just happened to grab the other one that day and it didn't include a needed connection. Check your serial cable for a connection from pin 9 on the computer end db9 female to the RIB end, whatever size connectors yours may use, some use 25 pin, some use 9, the motorola used a 15 pin, etc.

Also, take a pencil eraser and buff up the contacts on top of the radio and make sure the programming cable's pins are nice and clean also.

likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Thanks kb0nly, I try to use another PC which is running Win 98 (P3 desktop) and I programme the radio successfully.
How can I change and lower my Notebook port's speed?

VR2WTF
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Your only option is to use the older slower computer. There is utilities out there that are supposed to make the computer slower, but they don't work, period. I've tried everything possible and i know what works, an old slow computer is the only way to go.

likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Oh...I see.
I just found a old desktop using Win 95. Is it ok?
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Depends on the processor speed, and of course you will need to ditch the windows and go to plain old dos instead.

likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Thanks kn0nly!
Another thing, I got the problem when I use the cable to read/write the MT1000, it seems that the conact points of the radio that is not good as I need to push the coneector of the cable in order to read/write successfully. But I use the same cabel to read/write a HT600E, it works fine.
How to fix it?
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Are the contacts on the top of the radio nice and clean? If not use a pencil eraser and buff them to a nice shine.

likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

It is nice and clear but the one of HT600E is old, however, it works fine with programming cable. Why...
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

The acc. connector (ie. where you connect the programming cable) has been known to break inside the radio on these radios. As I recall, there is a peice of flex connecting the acc. connector to the rest of the radios' insides, and the solder joints where this flex connects to the acc. connector sometimes break.

likimkim
No Longer Registered

Post by likimkim »

Oh.......can it recover?
kf4sqb

Post by kf4sqb »

If that is the problem, and if it is simply the solder joints where the flex connects to the acc. connector, it is a fairly simple fix if you know how to use a soldering iron. As for the flex, I don't remember off hand if it is actually replacable or not, but I would think it is. Either way, these radios are fairly easy to disassemble, and the problem should be pretty obvious if it is either of these.

Return to “Radio Programming”