spectra MLM codeplug problem

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sheriffporter

spectra MLM codeplug problem

Post by sheriffporter »

HI, I have a couple spectras, and I tried to make my A5 accept an A9 control head, but couldn't get it work (codeplug would not let me change it from standard at all, just skips over that setting).

The problem is that I tried another newer MLM from a VHF radio on my UHF radio to see if the newer MLM version would work on it. No good, but when I switched it back, now my UHF radio (D44KMA7JA5BK), thinks it is a VHF radio (D43KMA7JA5BK). It will even program VHF freuquencies, but obviously gets a VCO error.

I tried to bitbang it back to the correct model number, but can't seem to find the right addresses and codes to get it right. So far, it is not totally fubar'd, and I don't want to make it worse. It now has the original MLM it had before, but wont go back to the right model number.

Can anybody give me the full set of bit addresses I need to change to bang it back to the D44KMA7JA5BK model number? Or do I have to get a new MLM now?

Michael
sheriffporter

Post by sheriffporter »

OK, I finally realized I wasn't following the directions properly... I converted the ASCII to HEX, and it's all good now.

I figured out the problem and was able to fix it, both radios are fine now, and MLM is OK (back to correct model number).

Now I am still trying to do what i wanted in the first place.. make my A5 radio work with an A9 control head. I changedd the model number, and put on the A9, but the codeplug still only shows "standard" (even though I can assign the buttons in the control head config menu) and no way to change the control head type. I also get an error FL 01/82, and if I try to program the radio, I get "error number 80 has occurred, can't program the S9000e control head..." message.

I am wondering if I need to get a real A9 codeplug to clone. Anybody got one I can try? radio is now D43KMA7JA9BK.

sheriffporter@msn.com
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

You need the control head to program it and unless you hack it the proper way you will always have to program the radio from a good saved file rather than reading the radio (because it will loose the functions).

Jason
sheriffporter

Post by sheriffporter »

I have the 9000 control head (HCN1045B), and I can read the radio, but it wont let me program back into it. And ofcourse if I hook it up i get gibberish on the display, and nothing works but dim and volume. I think maybe I need a good A9 codeplug to try and clone it to.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

KB9KST wrote:You need the control head to program it and unless you hack it the proper way you will always have to program the radio from a good saved file rather than reading the radio (because it will loose the functions).

Jason
Instructions for changing anything with the BitBanger utility are at the following link. You'll see that you will need to change the data at locations 6051, B67E to 39 and location 6060 to CD. The whole process from start to finish should take no more than 30 minutes. Including getting the radio powered, connected and into the service aids menu to make the change.

http://www.k2jsv.com/spectra/
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
sheriffporter

Post by sheriffporter »

Thanks for the help, I finally got almost everything working right with the new A9 control head.

Just one problem left... no dim adjust on the display. The dim button does nothing at all. I cleaned the contacts, and all the other buttons appear to work fine. I am not sure I properly understand the options in the RSS, there are settings for default backlight, but I see nothing for user selectable backlighting. It must be somewhere, since it does has a "dim" button (top right black button, not programmable).

Unless somebody jumpered/disabled it?

Michael
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Ah you should not be seeing any adjustments for the backlighting for an A9 head in the rss. If you are seeing adjustments for the backlighting the RSS has the wrong control head listed. It should say "s9000e" under control head type, sounds like it is saying "enhanced" right now.

Jason
sheriffporter

Post by sheriffporter »

Yes, it does say enhanced, and there is no option for s9000, only rotary, standard, and enchanced. Do I need another codeplug to get that in?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

The command board has to be hacked, doesn't sound like you did it. I tried to get ahold of you on msn messenger but you were not on.

Jason
sheriffporter

Post by sheriffporter »

Jason found me on MSN Messenger, and got me the right info on what to hack and we got it all straightened out.

Thanks a TON to Jason for the help! My radio that used to be a A4 is now a fully functional A9 with all the features I needed.

Michael

Return to “Radio Programming”