Can't read/write to Spectra after adding HLN1185B

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KyleCHughes

Can't read/write to Spectra after adding HLN1185B

Post by KyleCHughes »

Can't read or write to my high power Spectra after enabling it for the Siren/PA. I tried it with and without the Systems 9000 box plugged in. Any known issues? HELP!
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Are we talking about a mid-power or high-power unit?
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
KyleCHughes

Post by KyleCHughes »

High T83 A9
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Um how are you trying to read it. You can not have the siren cable plugged in when trying to program the radio. The radiohas two dual db25 ports on the front. The one under the power plug is where the control head cable goes. The one to the right of it is where the programming cable goes.

You said you tried it with and without the siren box attached, unless you custom fabricated a programming cable that would be impossible to try to read it while the siren is fully attached.

Jason
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

I was wondering if maybe we were discussing a mid-power unit, as you can access the DB15 programming connector still...

As Jason said, you can only read from the DB25 connector inside the handle, and the unit must be powered on. You will get a 'Fail 08/10' when it powers up, but thats just because the HLN1185 isn't hooked up.
The Batlounge admin
KyleCHughes

Post by KyleCHughes »

Yah, I was confused when I said I'd tried it with and without the Sys9000 amp plugged in (obviously :oops: ).. Nope, it's a T83 with the two DB25s. Just strange that after I enabled the Sys9000 amp I couldn't use the DB25 for reading or writing. Other radios are still reading/writing with the same setup. Oh well, I'll keep chuging away. Thanks all :)
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Check your 9v power supply and make sure it's still @ 8-9v. Then double check your computer configuration.
The Batlounge admin
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

KB9KST wrote:Um how are you trying to read it. You can not have the siren cable plugged in when trying to program the radio.
<BigSnip>

I beg to differ. I have, in my van's setup, a 'breakout' box that I made because I needed to connect more than just the HLN1185 to the front connector (specifically, the TX/RX leads from my audio panel). All it consists of is some daisy-chained D-sub 25's on flat cable, with an all-25-pins shielded jumper cable connecting it to the radio.

(Update, 16-Mar-06)

KB9KST had already mentioned a custom cable in his post. I simply didn't read far enough to see it. My error...
Last edited by kc7gr on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Did you read of all my post?? The next paragraph describes what you have done (ie "custom fabrication").

Jason

Return to “Radio Programming”