XTS3500 computer problem

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JimmyL1011

XTS3500 computer problem

Post by JimmyL1011 »

Hi everyone:

Have version R02.00.03 of RSS for XTS3500 and when attempting to install it into my trusty 286 computer, a warning screen comes up saying the software's looking for a "386 or better" CPU. This is a surprise since all of my other RSS wants the older, slower machines.

I recently upgraded to this computer, having previously used a 8088 machine running at a blistering 4.77 MHz (lol).

Any suggestions?

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Even though it's DOS based, the XTS3500 RSS is very new compared to most other RSS packages. I've never used it, so I haven't seen the 'minimum spec' error, but if it's anything like the XTS3000 RSS package, it requires at least 4MB of RAM...and even running it on a 486-33MHz computer will be extremely slow if the codeplug has anything in it at all. You can run that RSS package on much more modern machines. No upper limit for it is officially defined, but the XTS3000 & MTSX packages run flawlessly on my 1.7GHz Celeron machine.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RKG

Post by RKG »

I run XTS3500 on a 486-66 machine with no difficulty and no noticeable slowness. However, the package does want a fair amount of memory and it does need a 486 chip.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

RKG wrote:I run XTS3500 on a 486-66 machine with no difficulty and no noticeable slowness. However, the package does want a fair amount of memory and it does need a 486 chip.
I suppose it's probably a case of not knowing what you're missing. I didn't think too much of it when it took a full minute (or more) for the RSS to verify a 6K-9K size codeplug with the 486...but now that it only takes a few seconds...I can't go back! Also things like going into a trunking personality, and trying to switch to a different system...go make yourself a coffee! The first time I tried that on the 486-25MHz, I thought the computer locked up! Took me a few tries before I realized it simply took that long. Anyway, no matter, you're right that it'll run fine enough.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RKG

Post by RKG »

One of our local FDs got a bunch of XTS3500s as part of a grant and I spent quite a while with them, and codeplug validation took less than 10-15 seconds. The computers are some NEC 486-66 DOS-based machines that have nothing on them but radio stuff and which I carefully nuture to keep alive. I suspect application speed may have to do with whatever else is on the computer.

The issue is a tad moot, as Motorola recalled the XTS3500s and they have been replaced with 5000s; while I was initially skeptical about the Windows-based CPS, I have to say that some of the drag and drop and cloning features are quite useful.

Return to “Radio Programming”