RLN4008B rib box problem

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

macy's

RLN4008B rib box problem

Post by macy's »

I have a Motorola rib bix that I can't read or program a radio with. Anywhere reasonable to get it fixed?

When it's hooked to the radio all I get is a communication error.

Thank you in advance
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

have you tried it on another computer or tried a different rib on your computer to rule out things? could even be a cable or low voltage from the battery.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: RLN4008B rib box problem

Post by kc7gr »

macy's wrote:I have a Motorola rib bix that I can't read or program a radio with. Anywhere reasonable to get it fixed?

When it's hooked to the radio all I get is a communication error.

Thank you in advance
The most common failures I've seen in the 4008 series RIBs are the two 8-pin DIP IC's. You can order replacements from DigiKey. What I usually do is order hi-rel (machined pin) sockets as well, so that they're easier to replace if they fail again.

If you're not comfortable doing this, or lack the tools (it does require decent desoldering/soldering gear, and the skill to use it), I would be happy to look at it for you. Feel free to PM me if you want to set that up.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Also check the protect diodes on the data lines.
Dave
smile@2006
What radios do you own?: XTS2500 XTL2500 ATS2500

Post by smile@2006 »

Use Interface Tester software to check it.
If you need it please pm.

------------------------
:D :D :D
AZ-LA-MD-AA-FD
:D :D :D

Return to “Radio Programming”