Spectra E9 Systems 9000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

skipfd8

Spectra E9 Systems 9000

Post by skipfd8 »

Was wondering if someone could maybe tell me if there is a way to change my Spectra 800 which is a E9 models with a systems 9000 control head to where a regular Spectra control head will work on it such as the 7 or 5 model? In the RSS it wont let me change on the radio options page to another head. It just has systems 9000 selected. Thanks
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Perhaps someone else can be a little more precise, but the only way I'm aware of would be to use LAB to 'bit-bang' the model number to accept an E5 or E7 codeplug. Read through these for more info:

http://www.batlabs.com/moflag.html

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=22696

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
skipfd8

Post by skipfd8 »

Thanks for your reply but i have tried using the latest lab rss that i have which i think is 4.00.04 or somethineg but it comes up and says it doesnt support this radio. Is there a later verison or something i am missing?
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I don't think the lab version knows about the E-series Spectras.

It should, however, let you bit-bang and/or hex-edit the memory. You just can't read or write the codeplug. Whether or not you'll turn it into a brick by accessing the service menu (which is where the bit-banging happens) is not known. If you do it, let us know the results, either by posting a smiley face or an unhappy face - we'll know what that means!

Make sure you've got a good codeplug saved before you play with the radio.

Bob M.
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Actually you probably need the older lab 6.00.05, the newer ones don't seem offer that option for some strange reason.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

skipfd8 wrote:Thanks for your reply but i have tried using the latest lab rss that i have which i think is 4.00.04 or somethineg but it comes up and says it doesnt support this radio. Is there a later verison or something i am missing?
Correct, you won't be able to "read" the radio normally, but you will still be able to use the bit-banger (eeprom access) portion of the LAB to change the model number, and then use the regular RSS with the desired codeplug to make your changes. Some LAB versions have the bit-banger, some don't.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
skipfd8

Post by skipfd8 »

Thanks for you reply guys. I didnt know i could still use the bitbanger, i will try and see. Also i have tried bitbanging on other version spectras to not avail cant seem to get the right string or something and i have read the posts about spectra bitbanging. Can someone maybe tell me what string to use to make it a E7 or E5 so i dont have to use the 9000 control head? Thanks again.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I think you just have to change the two bytes that specify the control head type, one in the command board and one in the MLM memory (there's no separate MLM on the E-series).

These values and locations are documented in the places mentioned above.

Bob M.

Return to “Radio Programming”