RSS on new computer-com fail

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gstringe

RSS on new computer-com fail

Post by gstringe »

Had to move my programming software because we converted to XP, so I scrounged an old HP Vectra 8/33 MHz 486 pc. Reloaded only DOS 6.22 and loaded Keynote, Ultra Express pager software and RSS programs. The Keynote and Ultra Express work fine. The RSS starts but I get com fail on the com test. I have tried both com1 and com2.

With a breakout box I see data flow on the pager programs but not the RSS. So it appears that the RSS is not talking to the com port at all.

Any thoughts or hints out there??

many thanks :cry:
I like your approach....now lets see your departure
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

What RSS are you trying to run?
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
gstringe

software version of RSS

Post by gstringe »

What I have is for HT600 RVN4005G version B02.03.02

Thanks
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

The older versions of RSS can be touchy at faster than 16MHz but I have only seen com errors, not a com test failure.

The current HT600 RVN4005H R03.01.00 runs fine on faster machines.

I recently replaced my 386/16 with a 486/33 and my RR Spectra RSS constantly crashed with com errors when reading a radio until I slowed the CPU down to 16 and then it was fine. The com test would pass but it would give a com error after a few blocks of data were read.

If you don't see any com port activity, I would suspect some other problem. Have you tried a DOS F5 "clean boot" ?

Also check your PC System Configuration for the Com Port IRQ etc for any conflicts such as an internal modem.
gstringe

com errors

Post by gstringe »

Will check your suggestions,

Mant thanks
gstringe

comproblems

Post by gstringe »

Well I deleted the program and reinstalled. When I do the com test it fails but when I do a read data from radio, I do get data indication on pin 2 (tr) of the cable and also pins 20 and 5 so I must have a RIB problem.

I am going to see if I can slow down the pc as it is now in auto-8/33MHz. Not sure if I can hard select the 8 MHz.

More digging and thanks again.

Return to “Radio Programming”