Programming to use a Spectra A5 head on an A7 Radio

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SpectraBob
What radios do you own?: PM1500, XTS2500, PM1200, Astro

Programming to use a Spectra A5 head on an A7 Radio

Post by SpectraBob »

I've got a Spectra 45-watt VHF radio that came with an A7 control head. My RSS programming choices are "Rotary", "Standard", and "Enhanced", under Control Head Type. Using either "Standard " or "Enhanced", I can get it to program as an A7 head without any problems. (The only other choice shown was "Rotary", which is meant for an A4 head and therefore not an option in my situation here).

However, I am not able to get my A5 head to work properly, which is my preferred head to be using, while programmed using either "Standard" or "Enhanced". The keys will apparently respond to whatever I push, but I have absolutely no display of any kind.

I guess my question is this: What are the steps necessary within the RSS to make an A5 head work on an A7 radio? Or, is that not really possible at all?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Nothing needs to be changed to make an a5 work on an a7 radio. If you have no display something is wrong with the control head. The a5 and a7 are the exact same circuit board.

Jason
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

What model# interconnect board are you using? I'm presuming this is set up as a dash unit right now :)
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
SpectraBob
What radios do you own?: PM1500, XTS2500, PM1200, Astro

Re: A5 head vs. A7

Post by SpectraBob »

Actually, even though the model number starts with a "D" (usually indicating a "dash" unit), it is clearly now a trunk/remote unit. Perhaps the previous owner used a conversion kit to convert it; I don't know.

Unfortunately, I only have the one A5 head at this point in time, so I have no other such head to try on it. I'll have to track one down and give that a try; perhaps you are right and the head that I do have is actually bad!

Thanks for everybody's help!

Bob

Return to “Radio Programming”