Programming NOAA Weather Freq into H43QXK7139CN

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

saintarctangent

Programming NOAA Weather Freq into H43QXK7139CN

Post by saintarctangent »

Is this possible? NOAA is in the 162 MHz range. Would be nice to be able to monitor the weather on my VHF Saber.

162.400 162.425 162.450 162.475 162.500 162.525 162.550
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Yes it is.. Ive programmed as low as 145 on a 146-162 and as high as 163 . You can get the full 1 Mhz it wont take anything above 163 with that bandsplit programmed wiht that codeplug
saintarctangent

FireCpt809 wrote:Yes it is.. Ive programmed as low as 145 on a 146-162 and as high as 163 . You can get the full 1 Mhz it wont take anything above 163 with that bandsplit programmed wiht that codeplug
My radio is 136-150 MHz. I tried to program in ~ 162 MHz, but RSS just says its out of range.
[/img]
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

NOAA on a Saber...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Your bandsplit is obviously 136-151 mHz. There is a tip in the
Saber writeup on http://www.batlabs.com that says if you reprogram
your H43 Saber as an H33 it may "open up" the bandsplit all the
way up to around 170 mHz. Give it a try and see if it helps.
And the radio stays a high power radio even though you've put
the H33 low power code into it.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
saintarctangent

Re: NOAA on a Saber...

Tom in D.C. wrote:Your bandsplit is obviously 136-151 mHz. There is a tip in the
Saber writeup on http://www.batlabs.com that says if you reprogram
your H43 Saber as an H33 it may "open up" the bandsplit all the
way up to around 170 mHz. Give it a try and see if it helps.
And the radio stays a high power radio even though you've put
the H33 low power code into it.
I edited the rss file for the radio personality as described on Batlabs. Toughest part was reviewing hex conversions (hadn't done these since college). Worked out great! Now I have the 2m ham band as well as NOAA!

This is one nifty radio!
kg4lmt

Post by kg4lmt »

Just make sure that you don't go to that channel in the RSS when you need to reprogram one of your other channels. If you do that, it will do one of two things. 1) If you are reprogramming channel 3 and channel 4 is the one you hexed. The cursor can be in the PL box to enter a new PL...it may let you go to channel 4 with the cursor still in the PL box. Just don't tab to one of the hexed frequencies otherwise it will reset it to something in the rated bandsplit. Or 2) Same situation, regular channel 3 and hexed channel 4...let's say you need to reprogram channel 5 which is normal (not hexed)...go to that channel from the Wide view (F4 or F5 I think) then once selected go to the Narrow or zoomed in view to edit that channel. You can do one or the other, it just depends. But hopefully it will save you from having to go back and re-edit the codeplug manually. Which as much as I love Sabers...that part really SUCKS!!!
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Good grief, I've been dumping NWS frequencies in swords for years and it works great!

I have yet to have one I could not hear NWS with, and many times, I can hear the station without the antenna connected.

In the RSS, I ignore the read codeplug and type in the frequencies, and VOILA! no troubles ever.

I never get out of range pop ups, nor do I ever have reception or transmission problems.

In fact, on a Saber II, with 48 channels, I have a Nat. Guard frequency programmed that is down in the 142 Mhz. range and I hear that with absolutely no trouble here.

My usable range as programmed and tested is: 142-173.9875, I even have Border Patrol in 4 channels ranging from 168.975, as well as 165.775, and 163.725.

PD is also a snap...even one that has a 4.96 Mhz. split with different PL tones on TX and RX.

My UHF sword is also capable of very wide band splits, and NO hex editing needed....ever!

VHF synthesizer is: NLN8210B.

5-pole filter: NFD6092

Sensitivity: .23uV at 12 dB SINAD

Adjacent channel rejection is better than -80dBm.

Properly aligned, the Swords 'should' rival even the best ham stuff on the market.

And they are better than any wide band, multi-mode radio, bar none.

I hear NADA on any of my Sabers whenI am on South Mountain in Phoenix, or on Mt. Ord near Sunflower...they are just quiet.

Can't say that about the Icoms though...

I do have to give credit to Yaesu, the FT2800-M IS super quiet and only made a few 'burps' at both locations, so my hat's off to Yaesu for a super receiver!

Return to “Radio Programming”