Pls help....mtx 838

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chuamv

Pls help....mtx 838

Post by chuamv »

Hi gurus,

just recently upon reading a radio, i encountered an error message which read:

[BLOCK TYPE ERROR]
an unrecoverable error had occured.

Can anyone help me with this?

Upon turning on the radio, a "BEEP" will be heard. the beep is not the same as the power-on beep which is normal in all radios.

Any inputs will be very much appreciated.

THanks.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Is it a low pitched "boop" or a low volume "beep"?

Are you sure it's an MTX-838? I have an MTX-LS here that has a low-volume beep, but that seems to be normal with this style radio. If you have the LS model, then it takes different rss.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
chuamv

Post by chuamv »

i dont know how to categorized the "beep"... sounded like a low "boop" sound to me...it's like the sound when you get "fail error" shown on the lcd of the mtx838.

but im pretty sure it is a mtx838.

thanks.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Low boop could be a bad codeplug, rf board or controller. Hard to say. I've seen Jedis behave this way when forcing codeplugs in with lab to force a band change as well.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
chuamv

Post by chuamv »

hmmm..that's what i think.....tried reloading the same codeplug to it....still the same.
tried forcing another codeplug into it...still the same problem...maybe there is problem with the logic board?

if it is, is there a way on how to repair defective logic?

thanks so much
chuamv

Post by chuamv »

just want to ask if anyone knows how to repair defective logic boards?
i have plenty of defective logic boards of mtx838 already...

thanks in advance

chuamv wrote:hmmm..that's what i think.....tried reloading the same codeplug to it....still the same.
tried forcing another codeplug into it...still the same problem...maybe there is problem with the logic board?

if it is, is there a way on how to repair defective logic?

thanks so much
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I seriously doubt you will be able to repair a defective controller, there's not much on those boards that are 'fixable' with discreet components, and if the board starts to give troubles, it's usually the OMPAC(Over Molded Pad Array Carrier) chip or chips that has gone 'south' and are not repairable without a hot air reflow machine.

If reprogramming or rebuilding the codeplug does not return the radio to operation, then you will need a new controller.

Return to “Radio Programming”