Express Cloning

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jayce
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL & APX6000 & APX/XE

Express Cloning

Post by Jayce »

Has anyone had any problems using the"Express Clone" feature of XTS CPS? My boss claims that it will screw up the radio ID so badly that you can't recover it. I've used it 10-15 times and no one has come back to me with a problem. Can't find anythig about it on MOL. just wondering..
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i was under the impression that "cloning" does not transfer the identifier in that series or change the button assingments.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

I use it all the time and it works great.
5-sides

Post by 5-sides »

Bruce1807 wrote:I use it all the time and it works great.
Same here.

It is a godsend, since I have faced a couple of massive re-programs and have another coming up. It changes the system info without changing the alias or ID's. Makes cloning a trunked radio just like an analog conventional. Cable it up and hit enter. No need to update serial number, ASTRO ID number, Alias, etc.
Reset Operator Head Space and Timing
RKG

Post by RKG »

Ditto.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

most of you are talking about cloning radios that have already been previously programed, i was under the impression that he was looking to clone new radios off of his. in that case not all info will be transferred.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

My only problem is if a radio has come back from repair with a default codeplug.
Igave one back to a fireman and he returned it the next day
radio id 000001
Dah!
RKG

Post by RKG »

The express clone feature is designed and useful where you have previously programmed the radio, including its ID parameters, and then later you have to do a fleet upgrade (such as adding channels).

For a radio previously unprogrammed, or programmed with some form of default codeplug:

1. Do a regular clone from a known good unit;
2. Read the target and save;
3. Change the target's ID and other unit-specific parameters;
4. Re-save; and
5. Reprogram.

Return to “Radio Programming”