Saber II now a doorstop

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n7jei

Saber II now a doorstop

Post by n7jei »

OK here's what happened. I took a perfectly working Saber II, read the radio (ok) SAVED the codeplug, made a few changes and wrote it back to the radio. Now I get error in the display and the radio is dead.

Having searched and reviewed the archives I have done the following:
1. Tried re-writing the original SAVED codeplug... error in display
2. Tried re-reading the codeplug, checksum error in RSS.
3. Tried building a simple code plug from scratch... error in display.

BTW, my setup programs my Saber I's just fine so unless the Saber II is finicky...

Any ideas would be appreciated.
David Hall, N7JEI
Los Lunas, NM
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Saber problem...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

David,

What exact error or errors is the display showing you? Please post so we can help. I'll be away from my "library" until Sunday night but
someone else can jump in if you post what you're seeing.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Saber IIs are finicky, as the codeplug is a bare bones type and you can't have certain options programmed.

What frequencies are you trying to program?

What is the synthesizer number?

IE....NLE8201, NLE8210?

That can and does make a difference if you are planning on transmitting out of band with the radio, like in the 154.XXX range or higher.

The NLE8201x will NOT work on many high split frequencies...I just had to swap one out tonight in fact as I have two model IIs here.

You can't have SCAN active plus channel display names...that's a no-no.

You can't have selectable PLs, nor program any scan lists either.

You also can't have any telephone interconnect programmed, either autodial or manual...neither will work.

Both of my Saber IIs now transmit and receive well into the 169.XXX band, as well as work very well down in the 143.XXX band, the difference is the synthesizer module, it must be an NLE8210x, where the 'x' is the version letter, such as 'B'.

If the remainder of the radio is able to be used above 155.XXX Mhz on receive, then this module swap will work and you should be able to use the radio well into the 160.XXX Mhz. range without any troubles.

Remember, you MUST select OMIT MEMORY-2K memory option, this has to be selected in the radio options list, the Saber II is a 2K ONLY memory, so you can NOT program ANY other type of band split/model that makes use of the 8K memory the Saber III uses, it will 'puke' on you.

If the radio is an actual Saber II, with 48 channels, then what I said holds true.

To be certain, open the radio and look at the display/memory board, if it's a 2K memory, you will only see 4 chips, not 5.

The fifth chip is the tone generator for DTMF, NO Saber II had this chip, or the option, you got 2K worth of memory and that's all!

If on the other hand, you DO have a 5 chip display/memory board, then you have the 8K memory option and you then CAN program the radio as a Saber III with all the options the CORE can accept, including scan, sel PL, autodial, Mode slaved scan, radio Lock...Etc...

If it is a 5D core(most are), then you can program all 120 channels into that radio.

Let me know if you require further assistance, I'm available should you need help, as we all do from time to time.

Please Email me at my Yahoo address only...
aec9823@yahoo.com

Thank you!
AEC
No Longer Registered

Re: Saber II now a doorstop

Post by AEC »

n7jei wrote:OK here's what happened. I took a perfectly working Saber II, read the radio (ok) SAVED the codeplug, made a few changes and wrote it back to the radio. Now I get error in the display and the radio is dead.

Having searched and reviewed the archives I have done the following:
1. Tried re-writing the original SAVED codeplug... error in display
2. Tried re-reading the codeplug, checksum error in RSS.
3. Tried building a simple code plug from scratch... error in display.

BTW, my setup programs my Saber I's just fine so unless the Saber II is finicky...

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Err 00 is a checksum error, caused by incorrect data in the codeplug.

ERR 1/0D is a normal display while the computer is writing the codeplug to the radio, do not worry.

ERR 1/00 and ERR 0/81 are also checksum errors of a non fatal variety, caused by data interruption during a WRITE cycle, you can easily recover from these with a good rewrite of the CP.

If you get a CORE mismatch error, you may have to look over your codeplug data to make certain that you are attempting to program the proper codeplug data for that particular radio, if the error persists, create a NEW codeplug and try again....Sabers are VERY forgiving(unlike the Systems models, that is).

Adlso, as a caution, NEVER use RSS that is for the Systems Saber, this will cause errors as well, but recoverable.

Same does nOT hold true for the Systems Sabers programmed with regular Saber RSS...you WILL have aBRICK to hold your door open with!
n7jei

Post by n7jei »

Thanks all for the help so far, I have a few more things to check now.
BTW, the original code plug says it is a Saber III and the size of the code plug is about 3700k. It also says it is a 146 to whatever band split. I'm only trying to program 2m ham and MURS so the band split should be fine. I'll try the additonal suggestions tonight and report back! Thanks again to all who have helped!
David Hall, N7JEI
Los Lunas, NM
n7jei

Post by n7jei »

OK folks, a very big thank you for all the tips. My doorstop works fine now!
David Hall, N7JEI
Los Lunas, NM
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Excellent!

One more radio pulled from death's grasp!

Return to “Radio Programming”