Saber RSS on Pentium II? Seems to work . . . .

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

saintarctangent

Saber RSS on Pentium II? Seems to work . . . .

Post by saintarctangent »

OK, I've read all the warnings about not using RSS on anything faster than a 486 computer.

I booted my PII computer up in DOS mode and ran RSS from the a: drive using a 3 1/4" disk. Everything seems to work just fine.

Just wondering if I'm playing Russian Roulette, or does the disk drive thing slow it down enough to be functional?
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I am able to program both Saber models, Systems and regular on my PII-133, and even program them under Win DOS ver.4.00 as well, as long as I disable the IR port AND the IRQ associated with that port.

Of course, if you are able to 'disable' the CPU cache, that would be of some help as well, but I never had the ROM BIOS 'additive' to get into the laptop, A Compaq LTE5300.

I also get to use CPS as well, this is a nice bonus from a pure DOS machine.

HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i use an ibm p2 366 and it does about everything except mt1000's & p200's.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

So, what are the facts?

I'm so confused on this programming issue that I've put off ordering the MTS 2000 programming software from Motorola.

Some of you say to use an old, slow computer (286-486) ONLY, others say they are programming their radios with modern Windows machines...

This new guy dose'nt know which way to turn on programming my MT 2000 and MTS 2000. Can somebody here give me the facts?

Also, If I order the most current MTSX software from Motorola, what will I get? Will it be RSS that requires DOS or will it be CPS that can be used with Windows XP?

Would someone tell me the latest P/N and version for MTSX?
Terry
0rlando

Post by 0rlando »

Take a look at this site for a good foundation on RSS:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/rss.html

I just bought MTSX CPS from Motorola, I got version 5.00.02, no DOS version. I use a 1.7Ghz Dell to program my MTS2000's
0rlando

Post by 0rlando »

Wrong version, that version was for Astro/XTS 3000.

The MTSX CPS is 2.00.1, part # is RVN4176S

I use XP.

--Orlando
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Terry_Glover wrote:So, what are the facts?

I'm so confused on this programming issue that I've put off ordering the MTS 2000 programming software from Motorola.

Some of you say to use an old, slow computer (286-486) ONLY, others say they are programming their radios with modern Windows machines...

This new guy dose'nt know which way to turn on programming my MT 2000 and MTS 2000. Can somebody here give me the facts?

Also, If I order the most current MTSX software from Motorola, what will I get? Will it be RSS that requires DOS or will it be CPS that can be used with Windows XP?

Would someone tell me the latest P/N and version for MTSX?
It can be confusing. Mostly it has to do with what version of software you are using. About 90% of the DOS RSS is Pentium compatible, as long as you are using the latest available version. If you're using an old version you got off the 'Net somewhere, then it likely won't work with a faster computer. My DELL 1.7GHz Celeron laptop can program everything, including Sabers, Maxtracs, HT600/MT1000, etc. This is of course using the latest available RSS versions, and in a true DOS mode (not a DOS Window or command prompt).

Be aware that there can be hardware issues which can give problems. My co-worker has a slightly different laptop, a DELL 1.3GHz Centrino. His cannot do HT600 at all (won't even read them), and it corrupts Sabers when he writes to them (reading works fine). Everything else is fine. So, it's sometimes a case of try it & see.

The MTSX DOS RSS should come with the MTS2000 CPS if you order it. My latest update to CPS version 2.00.01 came with it, at least. You'll need both, as the MT2000 requires the DOS RSS, the CPS is only for MTS2000. The MTSX RSS is pretty much the newest DOS software out there, and it works very well on newer computers.

Of course, there's no processor speed issues with the Windows CPS as far as a maximum speed. Motorola does recommend a minimum of a PIII-450MHz w/128MB of RAM, but I've run it on much less...it's just slowww.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

Orlando and wavetar, I appreciate the input from the both of you. A number of things were cleared up thanks to your posts. :)

Terry
Terry

Return to “Radio Programming”