Radio wont start up

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

targa215

Radio wont start up

Post by targa215 »

Can anyone please help me with my radio problem. my maxtrac888 and mtx960 just went dead. they wont start up. when power is turned on it just light up and turns off.

A batch of mtx960 and maxtrac888 base went down all at the same time.

What do i have to do to fix them.

thanks.
MotoMax300
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by MotoMax300 »

Were they in operation? What was happening when they went down? Kinda sounds like they got inhibited. .....
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Talk to the system manager unless you had a power surge or a lightning strike, i have to agree with MotoMax300, your radios have been inhibited.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

Were they all running the same (ie cloned) trunked ID?

i concur with the previous posters, granted that assumes you were on a TRS at the time.
targa215

Post by targa215 »

Bruce1807 wrote:Talk to the system manager unless you had a power surge or a lightning strike, i have to agree with MotoMax300, your radios have been inhibited.
what is inhibited? what if they were? can they still be fixed? Please Help....
they were all in a good working condition.. no power surge nor lighting. they just went dead.... what could have happened to them.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Were you monitoring a Motorola trunked system at the time? "Inhibited" means the system sent a command to the radios which shut them down. If this is the case, you can 'revive' them by writing a saved codeplug back into them. I'd also recommend getting permission & a valid ID from the system admins to avoid this in the future.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
targa215

Post by targa215 »

wavetar wrote:Were you monitoring a Motorola trunked system at the time? "Inhibited" means the system sent a command to the radios which shut them down. If this is the case, you can 'revive' them by writing a saved codeplug back into them. I'd also recommend getting permission & a valid ID from the system admins to avoid this in the future.

Todd
"inhibited"... if its inhibited.... the radio wont start up. just like what happened to my units..... i read an article that when its inhibited it wont be able to monitor nor transmit.. and it gives me an idea that though it will wont be able to monitor nor transmit, it powers up... mine does not. it just lights up for about a second then it turns off. is this inhibited.

thanks
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Yes that is what happens when it's inhibited. Lights up for a second and
then goes blank.
MotoMax300
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by MotoMax300 »

Sounds to me like you either have a batch of ...

Not allowed radios,
missing radios,
a mean systems admin,
a unfunny buddy,
just an accident.

Seems like you were listening to a system without permission, they got the MDC codes and inhibited them. Either the system admin can uninhibit them or you can rewrite them with a backup codeplug that I am sure the programmer of them has... Otherwise you got a bunch of bricks / doorstops :)
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

"Inhibited" radio...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

What this all means, in plain language, is that on a trunked
radio system the system operator can kill your radio if he
doesn't want it to work on the system. The reason this is
done is because they only want authorized radios on the
system. Your radio may have been operating without
their permission, so they inhibited it, or put another way,
they killed it.

Also, you don't necessarily have to try to transmit on the
system to have this happen. On most systems the radio
will transmit on its own when you turn it on as it tries to
"affiliate" with the trunked system. When this happens,
and the system doesn't recognize your radio, a big flag
goes up and a decision is made to either allow you to
continue or not, and in the latter case they shut down your
radio and you can't do anything about it.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Lucky they are old radios
New ones don't let you write the program back into them.
You need the system admin or Mot to uninhibit them
RKG

Post by RKG »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the "radio inhibit" command, if effected, puts the radio in what is known as "ROS Idle" mode. (ROS stands for Radio Operating System.)

The radio starts and then encounters a memory value that invokes the ROS Idle. ROS Idle is just a do-nothing loop with no exit. (If you know Basic programming, it is like a block of code that says "Label Loop|N=N+1|N=0|Goto Loop"; it just circles back after its own tail and never ends.)

Some radios that have been "killed" can be "resurrected" by writing a valid code plug, but newer one's cannot because the ROS Idle prevents the serial handshake. The only way to restore the radio in such a case is to send it a "Radio Revive" command.

Radio Kill and Radio Revive commands in conventional (non-trunked) radios are MDC1200 command words addressed to the radio's MDC ID; if you know your ID and have someone who has access to a console with MDC paging facilities, that person could revive your radio. Radio Kill and Radio Revive commands for trunked radios are sent as OSW command words, addressed to the UserID of the radio in question. To send those commands, you would need access to the same trunked system that sent them in the first place.
cab

Post by cab »

MotoMax300 wrote:Sounds to me like you either have a batch of ...

Not allowed radios,
missing radios,
a mean systems admin,
a unfunny buddy,
just an accident.

Seems like you were listening to a system without permission, they got the MDC codes and inhibited them. Either the system admin can uninhibit them or you can rewrite them with a backup codeplug that I am sure the programmer of them has... Otherwise you got a bunch of bricks / doorstops :)
@targa215
yes motomax300 is right the system admin has inhibited your mtx960.
so, beware of using ....cloned codeplug??? :( or it may just be an accident, just report it to your system admin.

Return to “Radio Programming”