10 Circuit Relay Control Box - Schematic and Parts List

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Cowboy

10 Circuit Relay Control Box - Schematic and Parts List

Post by Cowboy »

I put together a quick schematic and parts list for my first version of a 10 circuit relay control box to interface with most low current switchs like the Motorola DEK Wildcard and Whelen PCCS9NP. The info can be viewed on my site at the link below. I've included a thumbnail of the schematic rather than the full size image to make this topic a bit quicker to read for all of our dialup readers :)

Hopefully this will give some of you a better idea for using the DEK Wildcard rather than trying something like Federal Signal's PDC which really is only an overglorified terimnal strip without relays.

http://www.idascan.com/dev/
Last edited by Cowboy on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmfire10 wrote:
alex wrote: "you are the roodest person on hear"
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I've also added a DEK to Relay Box pinout schematic to my site. It should be pretty straight forward.
http://dev.idascan.org/?p=5
nmfire10 wrote:
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I moved this to the Vehicle Installs area, since this is where the original DEK topic came from.

Also Cowboy... I am buying the parts to build this.. any tips? And have you built one that you can post some pictures of?
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I've built a couple smaller designs in the past however haven't really sat down and planned it out like this until yesterday. I've already modified the design twice since I've posted the original schematic and plan to further modify it today to allow for dip switch programming of latching inputs, i.e. input 1 could be programmed to control anywhere from 1 to 8 outputs, etc...

As far as parts are concerned, I've got a preliminary parts list on my site and after v1.3 will hopefully have it firmed up with all of the parts necessary. Its a bit difficult finding some of the higher rated diodes for circuit protection... I'll play around with it a bit today but I think it might end up in PCB form. The program I use ties directly to my PCB design program which I can order directly through. I haven't even started to design a PCB primarily because I'm unsure of how much current a double layer board could withstand. I'm home all day and its too dark and stormy to mow the lawn so hopefully I'll figure it out at some point.

Thanks for move :)
nmfire10 wrote:
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

No problem.

I have several spools of various guage wire here along with some terminal blocks.. maybe I'll take a ride to the rat shack for a project box and other materials and start working on putting one together. I have a cable with disconnects assembled (since November) that I will tie into it. I just need to get some fusing for it and I am all good to go.

This should be a nice little project to mess with at work tonight. I'll take a few pictures of whatever frankenstein I come up with.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Sounds great :) I would avoid using any type of relay you find at Radio Shack for a production device. Prototyping is fine but I've yet to have a relay that I bought there last much past a couple months when only running 10-15 amps through it.

Awww the joys of tinkering around at work. I've built some pretty interesting antennas at work now that I've taken over my supervisors position while he's in the hospital. Amazing how much fun you can have with a fully stocked modern metal working facility. If I could just get the guys in the paint shop to lend me a hand with some powder coating :)

I'm stuck between three sources for parts right now, and possibly four if I use a PCB design:
-Parts Express
-Mouser
-Waytek
-ExpressPCB

Parts Express is great for the majority of the items, Mouser has the high current terminal strips and Waytek has the 10 output ATC/ATO fuse blocks. I'm probably going to lean towards Parts Express for diodes and dip switches if I choose to go that route.
nmfire10 wrote:
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Ok v1.3 didn't get dip switch programming like I had planned (finding dip switches for the project that will work is difficult) but it did get an LED diagnostics panel :)

http://dev.idascan.org/archives/2005/04 ... agnostics/

I'm still trying to decide on a better relay to use. I'll see what Rick Rock has as far as ideas on HamSexy...
nmfire10 wrote:
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Here's you another good source for parts. They have a HUGE selection or parts. http://www.digikey.com/ That's where I order most of my parts from.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

Could I bring this topic up again... I would love to see the PCB design if I can mooch off of it.

I'm looking to build a 6 relay system for my news vehicle. I want to have the equipment in the trunk with a Cat5 cable running to the front that breaks off into low-voltage toggle switches.

1 - 1000W Inverter
2 - 2-way radio (25watt UHF)
3 - 3 scanners (1 Uniden, 2 Spectras)
4 - Accessories (Littlite, GPS, laptop, etc.)
5 - Spare
6 - Spare

What do you think? Is this feasible? Really other than the inverter, everything is relatively low-amperage. Should I go with a PCB, or simply use point-to-point wiring and relays mounted in a large project box?

No dual-battery at the moment since this comes out of my own pocket. Maybe next "budget year." :) For now, the 'install company' that does the work is well, shoddy at best. Not fire-hazard, but far from clean. They just simply hard-wire everything, no relays, so the switch at the front of my car actually has all the current flowing through it. Fused, thankfully.
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

PM me directly - I changed webhosts which inevitably killed most of my links. I do have the schematic designs stored locally though.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

Can someone repost the wiring diagram? Thanks

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." -Patton
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

I never did get the PC board layout/diagram so I can't post it unfortunately.
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I'm bumping this as I just found the files... 3 cities and 3 computers later, I finally tracked it down. I'll post a new thread with the images/schematics...

Depending upon time, I may end up actually redesigning this unit.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

Thank you Cowboy!

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." -Patton

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”