MW-520 problems

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

patrick
New User

MW-520 problems

Post by patrick »

Hi all,
I have a MW-520 5203A and need some computer savvy help. I have not found a computer that i could not figure out until now and thought I would ask where there seems to be some experience. Just purchased it and it is said to be in working conditions. I hooked it up insuring both monitor and mdc have power and fuses are good, when I push power it seems like it is going to start and I can hear the hard drive running solid but the monitor is running a continuous loop of bright white to black. The monitor almost appears like it has been cooked or left in extreme sunlight. I tried messing with the Brightness with no avail. I know the HD works because I pulled it and checked it off my laptop. Im thinking it is the monitor that is the problem, the only other thing I can think of is that the ram is bad, in which case it would still boot to prompt, right? it has 128 of samsung pc66 in it. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: MW-520 problems

Post by Pj »

Is it actually booting, or in a continious reboot?

Depending on the montior type, (and without seeing it) that black/white seems like what happens when the CPU reset button is pressed. Check to see if there is any play or if that button is stuck.

Worse case, I have a couple of left over MW520 color touchscreens available for purchase.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Sounds like the monitor or the video are shot. As PJ said... do you know if it is booting? You get any beeps (error or otherwise) after POST? Can you hear activity on the HD? If you have the availability try swapping monitors around and see what happens on the other machine.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Have you been able to troubleshoot this futher yet?

FWIW, these monitors can usually cook in the sun and still work pretty well. I can attest to these surviving the NV desert in a week, in a closed vehicle with the outside temps reaching 100+ everyday. But, as with any used item...you never know what has happened to them.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
patrick
New User

Post by patrick »

Hey guys thanks for your replies and sorry I have not been able to get back to you I just got off shift. This is what I know so far after much tinkering: The hard drive is good i hooked it up to my laptop and can see all files and operating systems without errors, it's not the screen cause i hooked up another and it did the same thing, I don't hear any beeps or anything when it starts, and I'm pretty sure that if it was the memory it would still post without a problem but would not enter the operating system. I'm leaning toward the possibility that it is the CPU or a burnt mobo. I will check the reset switch today however it does not have any play in it.
Thanks again,
Patrick
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Are you sure it's not the video? You've determined that it's not the LCD or that interface. If it were the memory, MoBo, or CPU (etc) chances are it would tell you because it would fail POST. Either way... I am sure the computer has on board video... so you are probably screwed anyway.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
patrick
New User

Post by patrick »

Thanks guys, the person that i purchased it from is sending another so its all good. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”