HELP Problem with install

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

HELP Problem with install

Post by Jay G. »

Ok, so I did an install on an 08 Altima GLE. Lights & sirens. didnt touch anything with factory wiring at all.

Here's what happened: Panic button on remotes stopped working. Thats it. Now i'm getting blamed for it. I honestly dont know if it was working before i started or not.

Car owner took the car to a dealer who wanted to void his warranty because there is non-dealer installed equipment in the car.

Anyone have any suggestions?? I'm desperate here.

thanks!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

techtonics

Re: HELP Problem with install

Post by techtonics »

so the keyless entry still works fine? the only thing i can think of is maybe you might have nicked a control wire from the in vehicle RX box usually around the back of the car in the C-pillar area
W6WAW

Re: HELP Problem with install

Post by W6WAW »

It may vary with the vehicle manufacturer -- and possibly state law -- but often it turns out that the warranty can only be voided to the extent that non-factory equipment (or the way it was installed) caused the problem or damage and it is NOT voided as to other parts of the car. For example, if you damaged a tail light wire and the transmission happens to fail generally the dealer / manufacturer can't say that the warranty on the whole car has been voided and refuse fix the transmission under warranty.

Without knowing all the facts and the specific applicable law, my guess is that the worst thing that will happen is that the owner of the car might get charged for the cost of the repair IF it turns out that your installation caused it. There are many reasons that a remote might not work -- including a defective remote itself. My wife has had two BMW keys replaced under warranty because the remotes built into them ceased to perform one or another of the functions. In each case, the problem was with the remote, not the car.

Is there another dealer in the area who can handle warranty work for the car in question? Some dealers are better than others on warranty issues.

Hope all turns out well.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”