Havis Shields CDM Faceplates

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Havis Shields CDM Faceplates

Post by NSPD »

I'm looking at doing an install using a Havis Shields Explorer Console, 3 CDM mobiles, and a cupholder. The Mounts say that they require 2.5" of console space for each CDM for the Non-flush mounts. I'm just curious if anyone has ever used these and has any pictures of what they look like once the radios are installed.

Thanks!
Jake
ka8ypy

Re: Havis Shields CDM Faceplates

Post by ka8ypy »

The Havis C-EB30-CDS-1P (For the entire radio) and C-EB30-CDR-1P (for the remote head only) are the flush mount versions and take up three inches of console space. I haven't used them but have sold several. From what I have heard from the users, they seem to like them.

Dan
Slick Top Solutions
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Using the 3" flush mounts will not give me enough room in the console to mount what I need to (3 CDM's and a cupholder). I will have to use the non-flush mounts since there is only 12" of mounting space.
Jake
john9912
New User

Post by john9912 »

The non flush mount equipment brackets allow only the rectangular lower portion of the radio to fit inside the console. The ENTIRE control head portion sticks out above the top of the console, which is about 2" high.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

john9912 wrote:The non flush mount equipment brackets allow only the rectangular lower portion of the radio to fit inside the console. The ENTIRE control head portion sticks out above the top of the console, which is about 2" high.
And looks completely and totally like ass. Then again, having the head recessed sucks too thanks to the gaps all the way around. Simple answer - buy a non-bubblehead radio!
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I bought one from Dan (YPY) for the Havis console in my truck. Works pretty well... you can adjust the radio up or down in increments on the bracket sides. The head is actually pretty tight fitting around the faceplate; they didn't really leave any gaps around it.
billforbush
New User
What radios do you own?: /\/\ Astro Spectras, XTS5K

Post by billforbush »

Just saw a Havis console with several remote-mount CDMs in it and it looked good.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

john9912 wrote:The non flush mount equipment brackets allow only the rectangular lower portion of the radio to fit inside the console. The ENTIRE control head portion sticks out above the top of the console, which is about 2" high.
The radio depth and thus the head depth can be adjusted somewhat so that the head is somewhat recessed and not sticking up entirely.

Dan
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

tvsjr wrote: And looks completely and totally like ass. Then again, having the head recessed sucks too thanks to the gaps all the way around. Simple answer - buy a non-bubblehead radio!
The Moto engineers must never ever ever ever actually see a radio in use in the real world. Form over function. There's probably some guy there going "Hey, if we make the radios a weird shape it looks cool". So it looks neat in AutoCAD, rotating around in 3D, but they never think that someone might actually want to physically mount a radio IN something.

The Havis mounts are about as good as you're going to get with a CDM without actually doing custom work.

Just be glad you don't have an XTL... besides the head sticking way out of the console you get a 2" high mic plug hitting your elbow the whole time you're driving..
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

I actually found a picture with some CDM's and these faceplates over on elightbars tonight, they don't look too bad....

Thanks guys!
Jake
abrasowski
What radios do you own?: CDM1250s, CP200, RDXs, DTR550

Post by abrasowski »

JottoDesk makes awesome faceplates for the CDM series (I believe those are the ones the previous poster saw on the elightbar forums)
I have it in my car and they form fit exactly to the cdm1250's size and allow it to sit flush and it doesn't stick out, very professional looking too!
Our university police dept. uses cdm1250 with the havis plates.....I think it looks like butt with the radio sticking out so far.

When it came time to choose a console for my 2002 explorer, this was part of the reason I went with JottoDesk :)
--
Alexander
radioinst
New User

Post by radioinst »

I like Jotto, 3 inch 1 piece faceplates are my usual choice.
thomsoningreen
New User
What radios do you own?: I use all of Motorola's Lines.

Post by thomsoningreen »

I use jotto desk a lot here. They work good for many things. But like many have said most radio plate will be custom for what ever reasons.
Network Communications Integrator (NC)
To key or not to key, that depends on the traffic.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”