DLL Error when starting CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

psteele35
New User

DLL Error when starting CPS

Post by psteele35 »

Hello all...

I have installed both ASTRO and ASTRO25 CPS on a two new laptops. The ASTRO CPS is v5 and the ASTRO25 CPS is v12. Both laptops are running Windows XP Pro. Both machines are able to run the tuner but not the CPS.

Both are getting the same error message. I have attached a screen shot of the error message. The error message says that re-installing the software may fix the problem... it doesn't.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Einstein

Re: DLL Error when starting CPS

Post by Einstein »

It's probably that the software is a copied version and not an original factory version. If it is I think that might be the problem. When you make a copy, sometimes not all the files are copied and usually it is one of the .dll files.
psteele35
New User

Post by psteele35 »

Thanks for the reply... The CPS was installed from a legit installation CD.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Does your computer have a serial port? If not, do you have a USB to serial converter plugged in?
psteele35
New User

Post by psteele35 »

The computer does have a serial port. I have never used a USB to serial adapter.
-Paul
ASTRO Spectra VHF W9
ASTRO Spectra Plus VHF W5 x2
XTS2500 VHF x2
XTS3000 VHF
Icom IC-V8000
Einstein

Post by Einstein »

When you removed the installation and then re-installed it how did you do this? Removing the program from just the add/remove programs field will not remove all the files. You have to do a search after that process from anything related to that program and remove those items as well then do a re-install.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

I had the same issue a while back. Re-insert the CD into the drive as if you were going to install the program from scratch. Since the program is already on the computer you should get an option box on the screen to either "install" or "repair" the current installation. Select "repair" and see what happens.

That's all it took for me to get the elusive .DLL file installed and get my version working... YMMV. Good luck!
Terry
psteele35
New User

Post by psteele35 »

Einstein wrote:When you removed the installation and then re-installed it how did you do this? Removing the program from just the add/remove programs field will not remove all the files. You have to do a search after that process from anything related to that program and remove those items as well then do a re-install.
I use a program called Revo Uninstaller. It runs the programs uninstall program and searches for left over registry files and such and then removes them.
Terry_Glover wrote: I had the same issue a while back. Re-insert the CD into the drive as if you were going to install the program from scratch. Since the program is already on the computer you should get an option box on the screen to either "install" or "repair" the current installation. Select "repair" and see what happens.

That's all it took for me to get the elusive .DLL file installed and get my version working... YMMV. Good luck!
I tried to "repair" the current installation with no luck.

I did finally figure it out though... I did a Windows update. There were 26 updates that installed. I restarted the computer, reinstalled the CPS, and it's running like a champ.
-Paul
ASTRO Spectra VHF W9
ASTRO Spectra Plus VHF W5 x2
XTS2500 VHF x2
XTS3000 VHF
Icom IC-V8000

Return to “Radio Programming”