W9 Astro Spectra, which siren parts needed??

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

W9 Astro Spectra, which siren parts needed??

Post by kb0nly »

One of the local FD guys had a question for me over coffee this morning, but i'm not totally sure on the answer.

He has a Astro Spectra with the W9 control head on it. They want to add siren/pa functions to the vehicle, but do you need anything special?

Or, can you just use a systems 9000 siren/pa with the right cable to go from it to the second db25 on front of the spectra? Then i would assume that you need a system 9000 DEK and jumper cable to connect to the VIP on the head?

If you know the part numbers, for the DEK and cable, Siren/PA and cable, then post em please!

Also, what has to be done, if anything, in the radio rss? I would assume that you need to change some programming in the radio to run it. And that brings up another question, do i hook up the rib to the second db-25 inside the handle and change the programming before connecting the siren control cable to the same spot?

As you can tell, Spectra's aren't my area of expertise but i figure it can't be any harder than a Syntor X9000 siren/pa setup.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

It's easy.

You need the Astro Spectra Siren Box (SIU I think), Radio -> SIU cable. DEK is optional.

You can program the control head of the spectra to do all the siren functions. The only useful thing the DEK will give you is different places to put the buttons.

In the software, go in and program up siren/pa function, and program the keys into the dek/control head.

Plug the SIU cable into the 2nd control head spot for the radio.

You should be good to go.

Sorry, I don't have the PN's handy. You should be able to find a complete setup for under $200ish.

-Alex
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Well i can't make any changes to the programming for the head, so a DEK will have to be installed.

They have all the buttons on the head setup for other functions already, including the Ø that turns on and off the secure feature.

I was wondering about the following parts:

HLN1185B System 9000 Siren/PA
HKN4363B Spectra - Siren/PA Cable

Those are the ones i have tracked down. The only thing i don't have info on is the DEK and the cable to connect it to the control head. I would assume it goes from the DEK to the VIP location on the back of the W9 head.

Anyone have a schematic showing the interconnections, the DEK, and all the cabling. That would help as a visual aid to show them how its all installed so they get an idea of all the parts that need to be purchased. I always see plenty of the HLN1185B's on eBay, and the Spectra to Siren/PA cable seems to be plentiful enough as well.

I just want to make sure i hunt for the right DEK and interconnect cable before i start working on collecting the parts.

Also, one more thing. I have never done programming on a Spectra, but they have the RSS at the FD, not sure which version etc, but they claim to have it available. I have a RIB, and can build the programming cable without a problem. The only question i have, if i read the radio to get the current settings, than change the setting for the Siren/PA being installed and set the button functions for the DEK and write back to the radio will it cause any problems with their secure setup? I don't want to hose anything and i see posts about the secure key and so forth.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

One more question on this. Does the Astro Spectra use a special RSS of its own?

They only have one disk, and its just labeled as Spectra, not Astro Spectra. I just want to make sure we have or can get everything put together before spending any money.

Thanks,

Scott

d119

Post by d119 »

Astro Spectra's DO use their own RSS. Well, CPS nowadays.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

I think the D and E revisions are for the Astro series. I know they are backwards compatible as my D is on an x9000, but it does have 'Astro' on the front of it.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Here's how it pretty much works:

Your radio is programmed through Astro Spectra RSS/CPS, depending on what version your radio requires.

When you go in and turn on the siren/pa feature in the radio, it will come up and allow you to set your settings one the siren information.

To get to this menu, F4 -> F3 -F9. Turn on the siren so that it says SIREN/PA. If you want the airhorn function ONLY, you MUST turn on SIREN/PA. Just PA will not give you airhorn.

Hit F9.

Set Siren PA After Reset to "off"

You can set other options there, if you so choose, reading help will help you understand how they work.

Then - from the main screen -> F4 -> F3 -> F3 -> F2.

This should get you to a screen where you see the control head buttons.

You can program your fucntions here if you choose - ensuring that the siren and PA functions appear in the top row.

Else, back up one screen (F10).

Go into DEK BUTTON CONFIGURATION (F6?)

Change Number of DEK boxes to 1.

You will then see "DEK A ZONE/CHANNEL" type thing appear with a box on the screen. You can then assign your button functions.

---

Wiring up the system is very easy. ON the SIU box side, there will be 1 think cable with a DB25 on the end, which will connect to the secondary control port on the spectra. If you have a dual head spectra, I think your SOL, unless there's a box out there that will allow you to add one. I'm not sure.

The RED/Black wires get connected to power (duh :-D), the other wiring coming off of it goes to the siren speaker. Remeber to connect positive to positive, ground to ground.

Program the radio up for siren operation. When It resets, you should see FAIL 08/10 (?) and get a beep. That simply means that you were programming the radio and the siren wasn't attached. That's all fine and good. Remve your programming cable from the spectra. Power off the spectra, plug siren cable in, turn spectra on.

When you turn it on, it should come up and more than likly say WAIL on the screen, or it may not say anything because we turned off the "Power up in last mode" feature. Regardless, in order to work the siren:

In order to use EXT RADIO, WAIL, YELP, HILOW, you must first hit SIREN. Then, tap the keys programmed as wail/yelp/hilow to get the siren to perform those functions. Pressing siren will turn off the siren, but pressing it again, will probably bring it right back to wail. You may hit AIR HORN during any part of a wail, yelp, or hilow selection, however, unlike the whelen stuff, it will start that pattern again as opposed to just adding the sound in no matter where in the wail/yelp/hilow curve you are.

Air horn will work without you needing to press SIREN.

In order to get PA, you'll hit the PA button, but depressing siren is not needed.

Hope that helps.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

OH.

With Secure - IF Infinate Key Retention isn't turned on in the radio, you probably will have to go get it rekeyed.

I would find this out before hand, and I can't tell you with any grain of confidence that reading the radio won't knock the key out of the radio.

-Alex
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

The cable I have is HKN4363C. ($240.62 List)
The siren I have is HLN1185E. ($747.30 List) As a note to that, the siren unit must have astro firmware in it. It will say astro on the front of the siren unit next to the plug.

Inf Key Retention will allow you to read and write fine. It's used for dumping the secure key if the main power is lost for the astro Spectra. (Main power, not ign power.) The astro saber key destruct is done by removing the battery without turning the radio off first.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ok, that answers a lot of questions! That helps with operation and setup, i don't have any questions left there after the post from Alex!

Just a couple Q's to double check..

The HLN1185B will not work on the Astro Spectra? Y/N

The Siren/PA unit must be marked as an Astro unit to work then? Y/N

I always see HLN1185B's on eBay with the Spectra to Siren/PA cable, but i assume that they must have been used on a regular Spectra and not the Astro version.

Does the DEK have to specifically be an Astro unit as well, or will any System 9000 DEK work? I know the difference between the Sys 9000 DEK and the accessories switch that looks like it but with a db-25 connector on back.

Bob

Post by Bob »

kb0nly wrote:Does the DEK have to specifically be an Astro unit as well, or will any System 9000 DEK work? I know the difference between the Sys 9000 DEK and the accessories switch that looks like it but with a db-25 connector on back.
Any DEK will work as long as it's not one of the standalone MDC units for the Syntor X9000. (don't have part numbers offhand; they're on Mike B's site though.) If it works with the HLN1185, it should work for all of the revisions of the amp.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Bob wrote:
kb0nly wrote:Does the DEK have to specifically be an Astro unit as well, or will any System 9000 DEK work? I know the difference between the Sys 9000 DEK and the accessories switch that looks like it but with a db-25 connector on back.
Any DEK will work as long as it's not one of the standalone MDC units for the Syntor X9000. (don't have part numbers offhand; they're on Mike B's site though.) If it works with the HLN1185, it should work for all of the revisions of the amp.
Should work? Hmm, well i don't want to put any money on "should work" just yet.

Has anyone used a HLN1185B on an Astro Spectra successfully?? There seems to be a big confusion about which ones will and won't work with the Astro Spectra.

alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I've heard both schools of thought.

I have one of these units, but because of where it's installed, i can't get to it easily, let alone the part number - not worth the time to take out and install again honestly.

I had this same unit working with a standard spectra - without any issues. I never really tested the wail, yelp, hilow though.

I would lean towards recomending one that has the astro sticker on it.

-Alex
rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Re: W9 Astro Spectra, which siren parts needed??

Post by rwo978 »

Thread revival....

I have this exact same quesiton, but already have the parts and am having a hard time getting the unit going in the programming. I've wrote to the radio, but can't get any reaction from the siren amp. A DEK came with the unit as well, but I'd like to use the W9 head if possible to avoid extra controls. Amp PN is HLN1185E, DEK PN is HLN1241D, and Cable PN is HKN4363C.

Astro Spectra W9, high power. "sys9000 astro" amp with correct cable. Using CPS R.05.02.00. Same version was used to originally program the radio, now just adding the siren unit.

In the Radio Wide PA/Siren tab, I've selected the siren/pa for siren operation. In the PA options, which boxes are checked and what do they do? I want the siren off when the radio is turned off and don't need to use PA when the radio is off. So... need some help with these settings: 1) Options audio muting, 2) PA Ign Sense, 3) External radio Ign 4) Siren PA after reset, off or last state? Siren: hi/lo & AH enabled, manual tone is wail, and siren ign sense enabled.

I then went into the control head and added all the siren functions. Tones/PA/XRad went on the keypad. Siren button (didn't forget that one :lol: ) went in one of the open keys above the keypad.

Am I missing anything?
Ryan
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

What is the actual part number of the siren?

Does it say "ASTRO" on the label?

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
rwo978

Post by rwo978 »

alex wrote:What is the actual part number of the siren?

Does it say "ASTRO" on the label?

-Alex
rwo978 wrote: Amp PN is HLN1185E, DEK PN is HLN1241D, and Cable PN is HKN4363C.
Yes, says Astro on the lable too. And, if I have to use the DEK, I have the cable to connect to the W9.
Ryan
akardam

Post by akardam »

rwo978 wrote:1) Options audio muting, 2) PA Ign Sense, 3) External radio Ign 4) Siren PA after reset, off or last state? Siren: hi/lo & AH enabled, manual tone is wail, and siren ign sense enabled.

I then went into the control head and added all the siren functions. Tones/PA/XRad went on the keypad. Siren button (didn't forget that one :lol: ) went in one of the open keys above the keypad.
I would think you'd want the PA button on an indicator button (above the display) so you could tell that the PA is armed, as well.

The options above are pretty well spelled out in the help file. Can you be more specific about getting a reaction from the radio? When you arm the siren, does the indicator light turn on? If you hit the tone buttons, does the radio display now show (if only briefly) the new tone? Does the PA work even if the siren doesn't? Does ExRad work?

How is your radio wired on the orange and green leads? Which if any goes to always-on and which if any goes to a switched/ignition source? It almost sounds like your ignition sense lines aren't giving the radio what it needs to see in order for siren ignition sense to work properly. Try disabling that option and seeing what happens.
rwo978

Post by rwo978 »

Radio is not installed right now, will be going into our command trailer. But, I want to get the siren programmed up before installing. Currently using a DC power supply in the house (like for a base radio). The radio red main, org, green, and siren red all go to pos, the radio black and siren black to neg.

Absolutely nothing happens to the siren when power is applied. I programmed it on the W9 keypad and also tested the DEK. When the DEK was setup, the lights didn't even come on on the DEK.
Ryan
rwo978

Post by rwo978 »

Just to make sure it was none of the sys9000 parts that are the problem, I tested all on an existing/working setup. The amp, cable, DEK, and DEK interface cable all work.

Are there certain Spectras that can't have this added? (IE, not in firmware/flash code?) Or are all setup for it.
Ryan
rwo978

Post by rwo978 »

OK, wierd....

Did some troubleshooting. Rehooked everything up and tried the DEK. Works. Reuploaded the codeplug eliminating the DEK and hainvg the siren functions on the W9 panel. Works. :roll:

Oh well, that problem's fixed.

Now, the no audio to the interior speaker.... will talk to the original programmer about that one. If it's not one problem, it's another.
Ryan

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”