Maxtrac external speaker?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SpectraBob
What radios do you own?: PM1500, XTS2500, PM1200, Astro

Maxtrac external speaker?

Post by SpectraBob »

I have a Maxtrac 300 with a 5-pin connector on the back. The batlabs diagram shows pins 1 and 2 as being used for an external speaker. But, when I connect to these, I get no audio to the external speaker, and the internal one still works as it originally did.

Does something need to be disconnected or connected inside, or a jumper moved, before audio is fed to these two external pins?

Thanks!
Bill_G

Re: Maxtrac external speaker?

Post by Bill_G »

Try 1 & 4. 1 should be towards the outside edge, 4 should be towards the heat sink. To disable the internal spkr, you need to pull the plug inside. My brain cells say there is a jumper, but I don't recall it's location without looking at a manual to confirm.
SpectraBob
What radios do you own?: PM1500, XTS2500, PM1200, Astro

Re: Maxtrac external speaker?

Post by SpectraBob »

I found the problem, and you're right; it goes onto pins 1 and 4, not next to each other, as the Batboard diagram seems to suggest. The diagram is a bit confusing, as it shows the two speaker leads as being next to each other... so, I thought it went onto pins 1 and 2, respectively. It is now working properly, and I thank you for your help!

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”