HT1250 TURNING ON AND OFF ON ITS OWN.......?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

scannersurf104
New User

HT1250 TURNING ON AND OFF ON ITS OWN.......?

Post by scannersurf104 »

Older model first generation HT1250 (black seal) date code 2000. While the unit is powered on it turns on and off on its own. Tried multiple different model fully charged batteries (Li-ion,Nimh, OEM, aftermarket) and the same results with all of the fully charged batteries.

Took it appart and secured and clean all ribbon cable connections, but still same results.

Is anyone familiar with this issue or know of a quick fix? Was thinking maybe the tiny button/hearing aid style battery inside might need to be replaced....?

Any input appreciated! Thanks.
SoCalRescue

Re: HT1250 TURNING ON AND OFF ON ITS OWN.......?

Post by SoCalRescue »

I had this issue before with a 1250-LS. It is most likely the volume pot. Some of the old production models, like the one you have, had an issue with the volume/power pots failing. I am not sure of the specifics but the shaft doesn't properly rotate the control inside screwing up the radio. You need to take it to a dealer or moto as far as I am concerned - someone else may know a DIY fix but it probably involves taking apart the radio and replacing the volume assembly.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Volume pot is relatively easy to replace, the pots themselves are about $4 each.
SoCalRescue

Post by SoCalRescue »

escomm wrote:Volume pot is relatively easy to replace, the pots themselves are about $4 each.

Just adding to what Jeff said, it may be easy to replace and might fix this issue. However, make sure that it isn't a programming error if you can, because it can also be a result of the radio being disconnected prematurely during a read/write. Those are the only two things I can think if though so it shouldn't be to hard to narrow down. Hope that helps!
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

might also be the battery contact gasket. I remeber everything after a certain color being made of a stronger material and some other details that are probably no relavent. FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
kb1ojh
New User
What radios do you own?: HT 1250, XTS 2500, M1225

Post by kb1ojh »

FatBoy wrote:might also be the battery contact gasket. I remeber everything after a certain color being made of a stronger material and some other details that are probably no relavent. FB
I have had this problem frequently with older model HT 1250's. The issue was the battery getting lose and bouncing around a bit. Replacing the case corrects the issue, but in the mean time I folded up a piece of paper a few times and placed it between the battery and the rf shield near the bottom of the radio. This put tension on the bottom half of the battery causing the top half to push against the contacts better. I would try this, and if it stops rebooting then it's a battery contact issue and you just need to replace your cases.

-Matt
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

just to be on the safe side have the firmware updated and the contaminant kit installed, you'll know that's installed when the gasket around the battery terminals is blue
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”