Strange Motorola Power Connector

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Strange Motorola Power Connector

Post by NSPD »

Anyone know what kind of connector this is? It is threaded on the outside and about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Thanks!
Jake
wx4cbh

Re: Strange Motorola Power Connector

Post by wx4cbh »

The radio connector is just a standard threaded polarized M2 DIN (Male 2 pin DIN) bulkhead mount as far as the external portion goes. Except for the number of pins and diameter, it is very similar to the old style mobile microphone connectors on the control heads. Can't remember what the portion looked like inside the radio - it may have been standard or something proprietary made for MotherMoto. The power cable has a 2 pin threaded collar female DIN (F2 DIN) connector. They are available from several vendors like Digi-Key. You'll need to match up the diameter, metal or plastic body, shielded or unshielded, threaded, etc.

The originals used a metal body threaded collar connector, shielded (though the shield wasn't really used as such), and had either SJ jacket 2 conductor cable with braided shield, i.e., microphone/audio cable, or a 2 conductor 16 gauge unshielded SJ jacket cable. A lot of microphones and rack-mounted theater and roadie audio gear has these threaded DIN connectors on them, so the stuff is still available from numerous sources. The connectors are referred to by configurations such as F2 DIN for Female 2 pin DIN with other alphanumerics denoting diameter, threaded, shielded, yadda yadda yadda. Some of the older units had a small box with a glass fuse in the center of the cable length while the later stuff had the fuse in the plug on the source end.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Given all that.. I still haven't been able to locate a suitable conenctor, this is the closest I have come, but the threads appear to be different: http://www.bulgin.co.uk/PDFs/Cat83_sect ... series.pdf

This is for a Saber-X battery if it makes a difference.
Jake
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

I am not sure but this might work..

http://cgi.ebay.com/2PIN-FEMALE-METAL-M ... _500wt_689 .

Do you have any more of the battery housings, I have been looking for one for a long time?

I hope this helps...

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

That is the connector. NSPD, make sure the diameter is correct - they are available in different sizes. In the event that particular one isn't the right diameter, see if you can get the mfr name off the connector and hit the internet. Amphenol was one of the manufacturers.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Thanks for the info guys... that was the correct size plug. I ordered one and we shall see how it works.
Jake
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

Well, FYI to anyone taking on a similar project, that connector is not it. It does appear that if I grind it down, it will work though for the time being.
Jake

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”