Astro Spectra vs Astro Spectra Plus

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Astro Spectra vs Astro Spectra Plus

Post by NSPD »

Forgive me if these topics are buried in the archives somewhere, but I have search multiple times and cannot find a concrete answer. Some people say these things will work, and some people say no they will not.

1) What are the capabilities of an Astro Spectra flashed for 9600 operations? What features do you lose? Can you still do 3600 and 9600 in the same radio? Must the 9600 Astro Spectra affiliate before receiving any traffic? (see question #2).

2) The Astro Spectra supports HRR on all bands, including 800mhz with 3600 trunking. I currently use this setup with an 800 radio as receive-only, and it works great. Will a properly-flashed 9600 Astro Spectra still function in HRR mode as the secondary radio?

3) Has anyone attempted to run a pair of Astro Spectra Plus radios in HRR mode (or is it even supported)? Has anyone attempted to tie together a regular Astro Spectra and an Astro Spectra plus in HRR mode?

I'm looking for answers to these questions since many of the local systems are moving to 9600, as well as the desire to have more channels available for 800.
Jake
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Re: Astro Spectra vs Astro Spectra Plus

Post by Code3 »

Unfortunately I can answer questions 2 and 3 in one shot. The Astro Spectra Plus does not support the HRR configuration in any way.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Re: Astro Spectra vs Astro Spectra Plus

Post by NSPD »

Excellent information, thanks!
Jake

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”