XTS 5000 QUESTIONS

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

themedic66

XTS 5000 QUESTIONS

Post by themedic66 »

Hello all, 2 things;

(1) I am hearing the annoying sound of the audio dropping after a transmission, i expect this on direct audio but not at the end of the repeated audio. This is only happening on a few analog freqs and I should also mention that I hear this annoying sound although reverse burst/turn-off code is enabled and with or without priority scanning...and suggestions??

(2) The TOT on our radios are usually set to 30 secs or 1 min, but I was transmitting on a digital tac the other day and the radio beeped and cut my transmission off after 7 seconds, I was not interrupted by a dispatcher or anything, it was the radio that cut me off...interestingly, the TOT field in digital personalities is grayed-out....any suggestions??

BTW, the radio's host and DSP is R16.00.01 with a flash of 580008-000482-0, thanks!
"It's all in a days' work"--LAPD/LAFD
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: XTS 5000 QUESTIONS

Post by Tom in D.C. »

From the Astro 25 Portable Help File:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reverse Burst/Turn Off Code
(Conventional Personality, Tx Options)
Enables either the TPL Reverse Burst or DPL Turn-Off Code to be transmitted when the radio is dekeyed. This is based on the Tx Squelch Type (TPL or DPL) selected for the current Conventional Personality. Both features transmit a sub-audible tone that causes the receiving radio to mute its speaker before loss of a carrier is detected. Muting the speaker eliminates unwanted noise (squelch tail) during loss of carrier detection.
When Receive Only Personality field is not enabled.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, while you can enable the capability on your radio, it doesn't work until the other guy's radio sends the RB code. Sometimes if you tighten your squelch setting in your radio it will shorten the noise burst if reverse burst is not being sent to you.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
d119

Post by d119 »

themedic66 wrote:Hello all, 2 things;

(1) I am hearing the annoying sound of the audio dropping after a transmission, i expect this on direct audio but not at the end of the repeated audio. This is only happening on a few analog freqs and I should also mention that I hear this annoying sound although reverse burst/turn-off code is enabled and with or without priority scanning...and suggestions??

(2) The TOT on our radios are usually set to 30 secs or 1 min, but I was transmitting on a digital tac the other day and the radio beeped and cut my transmission off after 7 seconds, I was not interrupted by a dispatcher or anything, it was the radio that cut me off...interestingly, the TOT field in digital personalities is grayed-out....any suggestions??

BTW, the radio's host and DSP is R16.00.01 with a flash of 580008-000482-0, thanks!
1. The reverse-burst settings on your radio only affect the transmit side, reverse-burst is always enabled on the receive side unless you put the radio in carrier squelch. What are the other radios that you're working with? With regards to frequencies using PL, reverse burst is not the same across manufacturers. Kenwood radios don't always mute Motorola radios, and vice-versa. It has to do with differences in the phase shift sent at the end of the transmission. What are the radios on the other end that are causing this?

2. Your battery is likely flaky or was low at the time... I've seen this when I have a low or flaky battery.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Motorola uses 120 degree reverse vs the rest of the world that uses 180 degrees. We are a Mororola only system. Fire purchased a couple of Kenwoods for eval and the squelch burst in the dispatcher's ears led to a no sale.

Kenwood makes a fine product but it is not Motorola compatible.

The HT1250's we use for non PD-FD use have a choice of reverse burst type.
d119

Post by d119 »

GlennD wrote:the squelch burst in the dispatcher's ears led to a no sale.
Tell your dispatchers if it's that much of a problem, find a new job. What happens when they get a mutual aid call from a neighbor agency who isn't using Motorola radios? They go on break? Call the radio shop and complain?

You should also be able to set your Quantar base stations and AstroTAC receivers to use AND squelch instead of PL squelch and the things wouldn't blow squelch noise at the dispatcher without proper reverse burst unless the signal is extremely noisy... Quantar stations have very Micor-esqe squelch hysteresis if programmed properly.

As for a no-sale due to crabby crotch dispatchers, That's RIDICULOUS, Glenn.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

GlennD wrote:Motorola uses 120 degree reverse vs the rest of the world that uses 180 degrees. We are a Mororola only system. Fire purchased a couple of Kenwoods for eval and the squelch burst in the dispatcher's ears led to a no sale.

Kenwood makes a fine product but it is not Motorola compatible.
This sounds more like the Motorola sales force blowing smoke and using mirrors to razzle dazzel the department heads. More like they didn't set the repeater squelch selection to where it should have been.

Jim
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

d119 wrote:You should also be able to set your Quantar base stations and AstroTAC receivers to use AND squelch instead of PL squelch and the things wouldn't blow squelch noise at the dispatcher without proper reverse burst unless the signal is extremely noisy... Quantar stations have very Micor-esqe squelch hysteresis if programmed properly.
Okay, I've been getting some static on this (pun somewhat intended) over the use of hammy equipment on a Quantro, which of course causes the same thing. I have three selections: receiver activate, repeater activate, and repeater hold. What do I set to what?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”