MCD5000 VOIP remote control

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RFguy

MCD5000 VOIP remote control

Post by RFguy »

escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: MCD5000 VOIP remote control

Post by escomm »

Ah, uses SB9600, that's a glass b
d119

Post by d119 »

No MotoTRBO support. How nice.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Which is really interesting because the MIP5000 supports TRBO over SB9600 so most if not all of the op codes are present and could be added if someone wanted to......! But why sell a TRBO when you can sell an XTL consolette??
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Just curious if anyone has seen this in service yet and has any comment.
Jayce
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL & APX6000 & APX/XE

Post by Jayce »

I realize this post is a little old but I was doing a search for info on the MCD5000. I just finished installing a network of 10 MCDs with 10 XTL5000 trunked consolettes. The hardware setup is fairly straight forward but getting them into a usable condition has been a bear. TX & RX audio was horrible out of the box and adjustments can be made in at least 2 different equipments ( deskset and RGU). The manual is less than useful( as normal) as it does not give the proper order for adjustment. I finally got usable audio after 2 days but 10-15% of the time when I key, no audio is passed. If you buy this, pay for CCSi to set it up.
bdesalvo
New User

Post by bdesalvo »

I am in th emiddle of setting these untis up as well,,, 16 xtl consolettes 12 trunked 4 conv 14 mcd 5000s and 5 RGU's support for the apex is not here just yet they say. had to settle for the xtl.
either way the audio, yes it is "OK" out of the box but lot sof network and setting need to be setup to get the audio to sound proper. Come to find out the consolettes all needed to be aligned to start with. but now if you order these.. make sure that you get the correct software for the CT software.. configuration tool software..

if you did not order the units for use with a OMC make sure you dont get the software for the CT with OMC.. unless you get the OMC and APC. we have recieved out with incorrect software twice.

also note that the units will power from PoE and the supplies power supply at the same time this is handy, I do not use it All my desksets come back to a layer 3 switch with PoE

over all they are good units! ! ! little TLC
USMSS Certified Electronics Technician
Certified Astro 6.X/7.X Repeater Site Technician
Certified Astro XTS5000/XTL5000 Repair Technician
6.x/7.x Systems Manager / Engineer / End User
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Which order did you set up the audio Jayce?

I have a set connected to an XTL5000 consolette and I cannot get the TX audio to sound correctly.
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

I've got useable audio, (not what you'd expect from digital) by trial and error. With a trunked system I am using VAD detection and have set the threshold at the RGU low (10). I've also took the RGU modulation down to 9 or 10 and tested using the audio monitoring setup included with the CT. Once I got decent audio there I started playing with the various audio settings in the desk set. It seem the modulation is by default way too high. I've had difficulty getting headset audio to be usable but my biggest problem now is the reliability of the signal. After releasing the PTT and waiting for the red & green lights to clear, if I key up again I will see the attached radio's ID on my portable, but no audio passes. This happens over 70% of the time during what I would consider a normal dispatchers' conversation. It is totally unacceptable. I think Moto rushed this product out long before it was ready.
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Ok I will start with that, like you said the TX is way too high so it is distorting.

I talked with Moto and they said that a new software update is going to be released on Monday, or so they say....
wgayer
New User

Post by wgayer »

We are looking to put a system together for 3 radios tied to a MCD 5000 RGU with 4 MDC 5000 to be put around our Fire Station. from what I see in this thred I might look at going back to MC 3000 with L3208. but was trying to have control over the 3 radios from one deskset in each location. 2 of the radios will be VHF and one will be UHF. any thoughts on this. thanks Ritt Gayer
dairymanwi2003
New User

Post by dairymanwi2003 »

Good information here about configuring the audio levels.

My local dealer tells me he will be able to quote be R2.0 MCD 5000's by the end of this month.

My plan is 8 APX7000 consolette's connected into 2 RGU's and 15 MCD5000's on a LAN.

First question is what recomendations do you have for a specific device (brand/model) to provide the LAN (this will all be set up in a single office/EOC)?

Second question is on the R2.0 MCD 5000 Deskset system without OMG installation and confirguarion guide; Page 1-19 shows essentially what I am planning on doing. However on the right side it shows the two APX radios connected to a switch and then connected to the RGU. Do I need an additional two switches to connect the radios to the RGU's or can I connect the radios directly into the RGU's COMM ports?

Thanks!
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

Two things I've found out recently: 1) the cable shipped with the XTL5000 consolette causes the radio to key via SB9000 and by hardline. Somehow this causes audio distortion in the radio. The fix is in software version R2 where you can choose either method of keying. 2) The audio board in the XTL5000 consolette PLN1688 can cause audio distortion. FSB10612 (now expired) details the problem and offered a free upgrade to version 'C' of the board to fix the problem. I had both of these issues which caused my audio to be unusable. I have all the fixes in place and will start aligning/testing this week.
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

With the APX7000 you do not need a RGU the APX will work directly on the network. Also the audio tuning in 2.0 is a lot easier!
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

techtonics wrote:With the APX7000 you do not need a RGU the APX will work directly on the network. Also the audio tuning in 2.0 is a lot easier!
Agree that the audio seems easier in R2. I know you can connect 1 desk set directly to 1 APX, but what if you have many desk sets and many APXs? I would think you would still need a RGU and a switch.
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Jayce wrote:
techtonics wrote:With the APX7000 you do not need a RGU the APX will work directly on the network. Also the audio tuning in 2.0 is a lot easier!
Agree that the audio seems easier in R2. I know you can connect 1 desk set directly to 1 APX, but what if you have many desk sets and many APXs? I would think you would still need a RGU and a switch.

Sorry, you are correct. I was looking at the new documentation and it shows multiple APX consolettes tied to 1 switch that goes directly to the internal LAN port on an RGU.
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

After swapping out the audio boards in the consolettes and upgrading the firmware to R2, the audio is much clearer. The new software makes it simpler to align the audio and it seems that you can now use a TRC equipped consolette. I am still working with Motorola on why my talkgroup display blanks out on the deskset. I think that will confuse my dispatchers no matter how many times I tell them they are still on the channel. I truly believe M rushed this into production before it was ready.

We just had a demo on Raytheon's WAVE product that will do radio over computer and smartphone. It looks like a much better solution for our needs and the price is really pretty good.
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

There's new a firmware fix that seems to correct the display blanking out.
KE4NYVJR
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu

Post by KE4NYVJR »

I know this thread is a old, but I'm working on setting up an MCD5000 Deskset, Two RGU's and Two APX7500 Consollettes. My first stopping block is the MCD5000 is coming up asking for a login and pin number. NO WHERE in the documents can I find the default login and I once I do find it, I want to disable that feature.
Jason KE4NYV
Motorola Solutions ST
andrew@johnsnet.net
New User

Post by andrew@johnsnet.net »

THe login is:
w

and the PIN is:

You can find the proceedure in the docs to use the "Remember Me" button to keep it logged in...
KE4NYVJR

Post by KE4NYVJR »

andrew@johnsnet.net wrote:THe login is:
w

and the PIN is:

You can find the proceedure in the docs to use the "Remember Me" button to keep it logged in...
Thanks! That will get me started...but I'm stuck at home until the government can get their sh** together.
Jason KE4NYV
Motorola Solutions ST
dairymanwi2003
New User

Post by dairymanwi2003 »

All I have to say is Motorola is getting the best of me on this one - fml

I was able to set the IP's on the 12 desksets and the 2 RGU's. After programming with the 'internal LAN' you need to use the 'external lan' connection for the LAN in order to ping the devices. GREAT! I am able to do that.

Next up was realizing you do not plug the APX7500 consolette's directly into the RGU's - they conect through ANOTHER LAN switch into the internal LAN. (So yes, I need 3 switches to do this)
You have to connect directly into the back of each consolette as well and update the IP's into the system (this is in the detailed service manual).

Here's where I ran into trouble - I need to go back into the RGU's and tell them to connect to the 4 radios via IP address set in the radio. The problem I'm having is I am not able to connect to the RGU's via CT because their IP's have changed. The CT is looking for 10.0.0.1 when the IP is 10.XX.XX.XXX.

I'm about ready to throw all this equipment away - it's basically junk right now :-(
KE4NYVJR

Post by KE4NYVJR »

So, I have been back and fourth on the phone with Moto Federal working on this project and here is what I have so far:

- My topology is very simple (1) MCD5000 Deskset, (2) RGU's, (2) APX7500 Consolettes and (1) Cisco Switch (flashed to be a simple full-duplex switch).

- I have successfully configured the MCD5000 and RGU's for their own external IP's: 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3

- I can use the INTERNAL Ethernet connection to talk to all three using the 10.0.0.1 address, as long as my laptop is set to 10.0.0.2. I can do that, even after I changed to the above IP's.

- I am to the point where I am trying to propagate the configuration file (in .CSV format) through the network to my devices. From what I have read, I am supposed to have all device connected to my switch through their External LAN ports and also have my laptop connected to the switch, with a local IP in the same subnet. I am using 192.168.0.250, just to make sure I am far away from the device IP's and avoid a conflict.

- When I load the file, I get some warnings about some naming I used, but otherwise it reads the file in and I can see my parameters. When I attempt to "apply" the changes, I get failures for all device.

- One of the things I don't like (and I think is a source of my connection problems) is that the IP setup in each device REQUIRES a default gateway IP. I am not using a router, but I decided to put in a default of 192.168.1.1 just so it would take the settings. I think this is why I can't see anything through the external LAN network. I have no gateway IP on my laptop, only because Windows will allow you to set the IP without it.

- According to Moto Fed, they told me the IP on the MCD and RGU Internal LAN ports are 10.0.0.2 and cannot be changed. Also, from what I was told and read to confirm, the APX7500 is connected to the RGU from the LAN port to the RGU's Internal LAN port. Originally I was under the impression that if you have an APX7500 Consolette with the LAN port, you could just bypass the need for the RGU and take that straight to the switch. My understanding now is that you still need the RGU to "translate" everything from the APX7500 to the LAN.

So I'm stuck at the stage where I need to write my topology configuration file to the MCD5000.
Jason KE4NYV
Motorola Solutions ST
dairymanwi2003
New User

Post by dairymanwi2003 »

Good Luck! I did eventually get it to work - but what a PITA. I was unaware that you need to change the IP of the APX consolette's (which requires connecting directly into the LAN port - instructions in the detailed service manual). The 'template' for importing your system I thought was less than helpful.

My topology was 4 radios-switch A-RGU 1, 4 radios-switch B-RGU2, switch C connected to both RGU's plus the 11 desksets.

Another thing that may have helped me was originally I was using CT 1.0, I upgraded to the most recent version. You do need to individually touch each component again in the CT with specific permissions, etc..

Probably took me over 40 hours but now that it is up and running I'm fairly happy but would not want to go through it again.
ron2lat
New User

Post by ron2lat »

MCD 5000 DESKTOP, AND APEX 7500

Where do I begin: cvs.file does not line up with the columns in RGU . version 2.01 while I did get the desksets to talk to the RGU the radio config.to Apex is not working it is connected to internal lan port of the rgu and address , subnet mask, and gateway...10.0.0.5[ for apex ] but still does not work. As I look into MCD CT resource table I see the address from unit or rgu but not to [Apex radio]. [what do i use for radio type ipds-radio, or [as moto recommends radio 1 which is a four-wire]
kris886
New User
What radios do you own?: APX 7500, SRX 2200, XTS 5000

Post by kris886 »

Hi all
I am about to get into this and have a few questions.

I'm kind of confused on how the radios plug into the network, do they plug into a switch and the switch is connected to the RGU- internal port. And than from the RGU external port connects to the switch going out to the main network connection.

I was looking at the back of a RGU and saw connections for 4 radios back there, or is this for a non APX 7500.

Thanks
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Does anybody here know if this remoite will allow full control of the APX7500 consolette. What I am looking for specifically is Scan on/off. Scan program , nuisance delete, I know that it will do channel and volume, and I know I could set up one certain channel as turning scan on,off like say a CDM but I don't want to do that "mode slaved scan work around"
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

The sets of RG45 jacks on the back are for Motorola radio-specfic cables to the consolette. Radios aer plugged into the rgu. The desksets and the rgu are wired to a switch, the radios are addressed via the rgu ip address. You can connect a deskset directly to an APX consolette without a rgu. I am not sure if you can connect a deskset to multiple consolettes just going thru a switch, I think that requires a rgu.

kris886 wrote:Hi all
I am about to get into this and have a few questions.
I'm kind of confused on how the radios plug into the network, do they plug into a switch and the switch is connected to the RGU- internal port. And than from the RGU external port connects to the switch going out to the main network connection.
I was looking at the back of a RGU and saw connections for 4 radios back there, or is this for a non APX 7500.
Thanks

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”