Error 01/82

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

Error 01/82

Post by randymince »

Recently our radio system was upgraded from a conventional to trunking system, of course this involved reprogramming our entire fleet, this is where problems started occurring.

With the same XTS-5000 radios we have used the most current version of CPS as it became available, with all the functions such as "Cloning" to include "Clone Wizard" successfully working.
After reading a radio, creating the cpg template to include all trunking information/options and saving, once we attempted to use "Clone Wizard" or any cloning it resulted in the radio bricking displaying "Error 01/82".
This happened on radios with various host/dsp versions, we recreated the codeplug to rule out a corrupt codeplug, and also different computers/programming cables, with all of the programming cables being official Motorola cables.

This error also was exhibited when cloning using both R17 and R18 CPS versions. We had Motorola techs on site, and they said the work around was to save the codeplug first, then clone. This worked, but again the "Clone Wizard" function should work without having to save the radio before. This added additional minutes to programming radios, and when you have a thousand radios to reprogram that doesn't help.

Has anybody else come across this issue?

There have been some other minor things I have noticed with the newer CPS, such as with a saved codeplug, when cloning it will default values within the template codeplug randomly, especially if they are associated with a conventional personality. It is all irritating when you are programming a full fleet.
...And that's how radios work
Jim202

Re: Error 01/82

Post by Jim202 »

Randy Ran wrote:Recently our radio system was upgraded from a conventional to trunking system, of course this involved reprogramming our entire fleet, this is where problems started occurring.

With the same XTS-5000 radios we have used the most current version of CPS as it became available, with all the functions such as "Cloning" to include "Clone Wizard" successfully working.
After reading a radio, creating the cpg template to include all trunking information/options and saving, once we attempted to use "Clone Wizard" or any cloning it resulted in the radio bricking displaying "Error 01/82".
This happened on radios with various host/dsp versions, we recreated the codeplug to rule out a corrupt codeplug, and also different computers/programming cables, with all of the programming cables being official Motorola cables.

This error also was exhibited when cloning using both R17 and R18 CPS versions. We had Motorola techs on site, and they said the work around was to save the codeplug first, then clone. This worked, but again the "Clone Wizard" function should work without having to save the radio before. This added additional minutes to programming radios, and when you have a thousand radios to reprogram that doesn't help.

Has anybody else come across this issue?

There have been some other minor things I have noticed with the newer CPS, such as with a saved codeplug, when cloning it will default values within the template codeplug randomly, especially if they are associated with a conventional personality. It is all irritating when you are programming a full fleet.

Have you contacted Motorola and got their feedback for what it may not be worth?

The 01/82 error is a checksum error in the stored external RAM. good luck on this one.

Jim
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Any of your XTS5000's happen to have firmware version R11.00.00 by chance?

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Ever since R17 CPS I have heard of many stories and personally seen radios get bricked for no good reason during the write process. Motorola introduced something in R17 and won't admit they screwed up. Keeps their depot busy charging $400+ to hit a radio with labtool to bring it back to life. Must be good for business
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

I've had that 01/82 error on several of my XTS 3000's in the past. I kept attempting to write the codeplug and eventually was able to do so. Most of the time, it's a bad cheap cable and/or driver...but then again, that was on XTS 3000's that I had in the past... not 5000's.
randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

Post by randymince »

Most of our fleet has R12.

There were never any issues until we started to populate the trunking portion of CPS. There have been some strange issues aside from the cloning issue causing the 01/82 error, such as a saved codeplug having some of the values revert back to default, such as the frequencies.

All of the cables are official Motorola, and like I said we have been using the same set up with cables, laptop, CPS version up until we started to migrate to a trunking system, once we started programming the same XTS-5000 radios with a created codeplug that contained trunking specific information, we started running into problems.

We had Motorola FST's present, as well as an Engineer, so the work around was to save each radio codeplug before we cloned it, this didn't cause the radios to brick but it shouldn't have to be like this, especially on a released version of CPS. Once a radio was displaying the error basically a dummy codeplug had to be created based off of the serial number and sent from depot. Once this cpg was received you would write the file to the radio, but it would fail initially and you would have to write it again, then it would show as complete. Again this is the first instance I have seen with issues as I described above.

The whole situation is irritating because it throws a wrench in a process that should be quick and pain free. At my current job I also teach other technicians so explaining a ridiculous process instead of the standard cloning process just doesn't settle well with me, when the cloning feature should work.
...And that's how radios work

Return to “Radio Programming”