IPSC not working

Moderator: Queue Moderator

marcosorourke
What radios do you own?: XPR7550

IPSC not working

Post by marcosorourke »

I had an IPSC network that was working great until I had to replace my master repeater. I copied all the settings over to the new master repeater and all of a sudden my IPSC network can transmit messages from my master repeater but not receive. Plus my peers cannot receive any calls.

Anyone have any ideas? The only thing that has changed is the Master repeater hardware.
alex
Administrator

Re: IPSC not working

Post by alex »

You need to reset your peers after replacing a master.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Had a customer with a similar situation after replacing ethernet boards on 4 repeaters.

The fix was to set the RSSI threshold to -40db. Something about the FCC lockout. May be related to the firmware of your master.
marcosorourke

Post by marcosorourke »

Can I reset the peers via RDAC or does it need to be a hard power cycle?

All the firmwares are the version before the current one.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

marcosorourke wrote:Can I reset the peers via RDAC or does it need to be a hard power cycle?

All the firmwares are the version before the current one.
I am not sure if you can power cycle via RDAC. If they are XPR8400's and you can connect to them reading/writing the codeplug using the remote program feature may do it.

Let's assume though you could power cycle through RDAC. You replaced your master. The Peer's which are not working may not reconnect to the master. When you connect RDAC to the master you may or may not see the peer's to even send that reset. I would connect up with RDAC and see what you see.

I'd suggest you just have a local contact or go through and power cycle the repeaters yourself. Look in to some IP enabled power controls so you can do remote on/off via SNMP or other network commands for your remote sites. Consider using vpn tunnels or other technology to keep your mototrbo network on a closed network.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
marcosorourke

Post by marcosorourke »

Thanks for the info Alex.

All of our repeaters are on a VPN.

I can see my whole network on RDAC when I connect to the Master. I'll try sending the Reset command and see if that wakes them up, otherwise I'll have to do it on my next visit to the sites.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

Confirm your "Authentication Key" mataches for each repeater ?
marcosorourke

Post by marcosorourke »

There's no authentication key.

I tried to put the old repeater back in but that didn't wake things up. Looks like I need to make some trips out to our sites. :)

Thank you all for the feedback.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

.. bummer. Storms damaged the network port on one of our Master repeaters last Friday. We had a backup MTR3000 sitting at the tower site. I read the config off the damaged repeater and cloned it to the new one; cabled everything back and everything came back up fine within a few minutes (5 peers). Sounds like we did the exact same thing....
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

TreyH wrote:.. bummer. Storms damaged the network port on one of our Master repeaters last Friday. We had a backup MTR3000 sitting at the tower site. I read the config off the damaged repeater and cloned it to the new one; cabled everything back and everything came back up fine within a few minutes (5 peers). Sounds like we did the exact same thing....
Same here. I've blown a codeplug into a spare repeater, taken it to site, swapped it in, and budda-bing budda-boom, everything is working again.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

TreyH wrote:.. bummer. Storms damaged the network port on one of our Master repeaters last Friday. We had a backup MTR3000 sitting at the tower site. I read the config off the damaged repeater and cloned it to the new one; cabled everything back and everything came back up fine within a few minutes (5 peers). Sounds like we did the exact same thing....
Time for a refresh of the site grounding, eh?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Yes, the peers *should* rediscover the master within a few minutes of replacement. In fact, they should have all kept working among themselves even while the master was out of commission, as their peer tables were already built, so the master wasn't needed...it's technically only required when trying to add or replace a peer to the system, assuming all peers sites stay powered up & communicating via networking.

The fact that you can see the repeaters via RDAC tells us that they have 'reported' and the master knows about them, otherwise you wouldn't see them. So it's odd that the voice part isn't working. That could be a firmware issue, if the new master is significantly different from the peers.

It sounds like you were not able to reset them remotely...or if you could it didn't seem to help? Let us know if manually resetting them gets things going again.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

escomm wrote:
Time for a refresh of the site grounding, eh?
he he, yep. The 911 district owns the tower and their IT crew recently installed an IP security camera on the tower. They used copper ethernet cabling and ran it straight in from the tower, right past a thousand dollars worth of polyphasers and plugged it directly into the network switch. Go figure that.... :)

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”