Simplex Repeater Info ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Simplex Repeater Info ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Anyone have any experience with Simplex Repeaters ? Basically looking for a unit that will store a brief message and then rebroadcast it from a higher elevation when radio is de-keyed. Looking to build something self contained maybe in a large diam. PVC tube for a camping group.
Bill_G

Re: Simplex Repeater Info ?

Post by Bill_G »

The Argent ADS-SR1 has been discussed in the past. It does both store and forward (simplex repeat), and acts as a "radio voice mail" so you can replay the last ten or so transmissions. Obviously, this will be a DIY project. You will have to select the portable radio you will marry with it, build the power system, figure out how to package it, and come up with a way to raise it up. For someone with the right experience, this would be an interesting under $1000 project.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Here's a concept - Midian makes a series of simplex repeater boards and microphones that simply plug into a number of Motorola, Icom, and Kenwood portables. Probably could not get any simpler than this. Certainly would reduce the DIY down to power and housing.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Appreciate that Bill, these look good and that Midian seems like the ticket for the campers. The only simplex repeater I had seen previously was a Radio shack (ugh) a few years back and I depleted the store stock to find one that worked,(they didn't). Just considering either a split PL or split frequencies so they don't get confused by hearing someone twice when with direct range. I like that Argent for the shack and range testing. Good info. that will be put to use.

Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If you can track down a Zetron Model 19 Simplexor, they were purpose built for this task, and worked very well. Unfortunately, Zetron discontinued them without a replacement.

CSI (Connect Systems) makes a similar unit:

http://www.connectsystems.com/products/ ... mplex.html

I haven't used it personally, but they tend to make decent product. They even mention it as a Model 19 replacement.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

RadioSouth wrote:Appreciate that Bill, these look good and that Midian seems like the ticket for the campers. The only simplex repeater I had seen previously was a Radio shack (ugh) a few years back and I depleted the store stock to find one that worked,(they didn't). Just considering either a split PL or split frequencies so they don't get confused by hearing someone twice when with direct range. I like that Argent for the shack and range testing. Good info. that will be put to use.

Jim
Jim - You're welcome. Unfortunately, you're not going to get around the double talk. You really don't want to. It defeats the purpose, and with novice users, increases the possibility of not having working communications. However, you can talkaround the repeater so that every conversation doesn't have to be parroted which can be annoying. Program two channels in your portables with the same simplex freqs and rx pl, but different tx pl. Let chan 1 where tx pl equals rx pl be the direct portable channel, and chan 2 where tx pl does not equal rx pl be the repeater channel. People can make their first attempts on channel 1, and if they don't get an answer back, they can try chan 2. On the down side, your repeater radio now has a split pl unlike every other radio. if it fails, you have to reprogram a radio before it can be used. Not impossible, but adds a step.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

RadioSouth wrote:Anyone have any experience with Simplex Repeaters ? Basically looking for a unit that will store a brief message and then rebroadcast it from a higher elevation when radio is de-keyed. Looking to build something self contained maybe in a large diam. PVC tube for a camping group.
Do you want this unit to store and forward each and every transmission? Or are you looking for it to do something different?

We've got a Zetron Model 19 on our base station. It's been in service for over 20 years now, and shows no signs of quitting (knock on wood.) But it is activated only by a specific set of Quick Call II tones so it does not get used that often.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

wavetar wrote:CSI (Connect Systems) makes a similar unit:

http://www.connectsystems.com/products/ ... mplex.html

I haven't used it personally, but they tend to make decent product. They even mention it as a Model 19 replacement.
I've used it and it worked well. Is very versatile. It can also be set-up for 2-tone decode (external decoder) and re-page. It regenerates the paging tones, so there is no degradation.
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

Another option could be to use a simplex repeater with different RX/TX pl or even rx/tx freqs. For example, the repeater listens on 465mhz.....then tx everything back out on 460mhz, So the radio acting as a repeater is programmed for reverse of standard subscriber repeater programming. All other ""system users" would be programmed for normal repeater offset operation. This works well on Shangwang dualband VHF/UHF splits, different PL's, and different freqs in the same band. It prevents everyone from hearing the initial signal, which seems to cause the most confusion..... FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”