Reasonable cost of plain vhf ASTRO saber? no apco25 or CAI e

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I've had the regular sabers the systems sabers etc...but have always wanted an ASTRO. I don't need all the fancy digital stuff at all. Just plain vhf. What do you guys think a person would expect to pay for such a unit, preferably a II or III model? Or, are such units even regularly available with this limited capability?
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Let me ask you something, you are saying you want a NON-Digital Astro saber? I saw one a week or so ago on ebay or something like that that had a saber III jammed into an ASTRO case. The display didn't fit properly, and I almost pissed myself laughing on how far that person actually went to be an ASTRO Poser. Is that what you are looking for? Why dont you just get a regular saber Its ALOT less expensive, and it will do the same things if you only want to use it in ANALOG mode. Save your $$ and get the real thing when the time comes that you need it Instead of having to FLASH the bare bones one and upgrade it from Motorola for $$, then you would be spending twice as much. Its just my opinion
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I've never owned an Astro and I forgot they are all digital in some format. I just meant an older one with VSELP or something. I just like the features they have.

And no I don't want one JAMMED into an ASTRO case!
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Well, you can get an Astro product without digital operation. Why would someone order one that way, beats me (my PD has some XTS3000 this way).
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Some government agencies order them bare bones because it is an upgrading plan....the system is old, the system works ok (smartnet or conventional UHF/VHF), so they only replace the mobiles and portables(where the wear and tear takes place) but get something digital capiable, so when they get the next bond issue or tax break, they can spend a million dollars to buy flash upgrades that can be emailed for free. Its all about easing the government into high prices, and when its time to buy more cause they like them, they show them the tab they've run up so they all can scratch their heads and say "its worth it" because it worked before, and they dont know anything about the product they are buying.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

I don't know why no one would give you a straight answer. Well the last Astrosaber 1 i had was a basic unit like you are looking for, i sold it for 575.00. I have seen them go for between 550-700.00 on ebay. If you really want to find a bargin start checking with DRMO auctions. I picked 6 up a year or two ago for around 190.00 each, of course I did not know if they worked or not until I paid for them, I did take a battery in with me to one of the screening and put it on one or two and they powered up, but they had been deprogrammed so I was not sure if they worked o.k. or not. I got lucky 4 of them worked alright and the other two had various problems that I had taken care of by the depot.

Hope that helps, and you guys should start giving somebody a straight answer from tme to time.

10-95

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10-95 on 2002-01-04 06:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10-95 on 2002-01-04 06:11 ]</font>
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

I don't know why no one would give you a straight answer. Well the last Astrosaber 1 i had was a basic unit like you are looking for, i sold it for 575.00. I have seen them go for between 550-700.00 on ebay. If you really want to find a bargin start checking with DRMO auctions. I picked 6 up a year or two ago for around 190.00 each, of course I did not know if they worked or not until I paid for them, I did take a battery in with me to one of the screening and put it on one or two and they powered up, but they had been deprogrammed so I was not sure if they worked o.k. or not. I got lucky 4 of them worked alright and the other two had various problems that I had taken care of by the depot.

Hope that helps, and you guys should start giving somebody a straight answer from tme to time.

10-95

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10-95 on 2002-01-04 06:13 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10-95 on 2002-01-04 06:13 ]</font>
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Thanks 10-95. I have seen the auctions when searching the net from time to time but it seems really confusing and complicated to get involved. How do you go about doing this. Can you give me some info on a simple way to get involved and maybe come across a deal like you did. I always figured I would be out of contention since I'm not looking to spend several grand an come home with a truck load of stuff I just want to be able to bid on certain things.
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

No problem mancow, just do s search on msn or whatever seaech engine you use and search fro drmo or drms and you should end up on their mainpage, it breaks everything down by zone(location) and provides a detailed list of stuff available. They also have a keyword search engine so you can enter "Motorola radio" or whatever. The drms in California has a lot of analog sabers, a lot end up on ebay.

10-95

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”