GR300 Accessory Port & Repeater Controller Questions

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

GR300 Accessory Port & Repeater Controller Questions

Post by d119 »

Hi Group,
Back to the topic of the GR300 I'm working on. I would like to interface an external repeater controller to the GR300, yet retain the "Basic Repeater Interface" functionality. Hear me out.

I noticed that the GR300 "Basic Repeater Interface" has an accessory port on the back of it. 16 pin, just like the TX & RX connections. If I press the "Repeater Enable" button and disable the repeater, and I have an external controller connected to this "Accessory" port, will the system still work? In other words, can I run an external repeater controller on the GR300, yet unplug that controller, press the "Repeater Enable" button, and still have a basic repeater?

Also, does anyone have the pinout for the Accessory connector? I'm mainly concerned about COS/PL ("PL Unsquelch"), PTT, transmit audio, and receive audio, though if someone has a complete list of what's available on that connector, it'd be appreciated.

My goal is to connect this VHF GR300 to a linking controller, have another port on the controller linking the GR300 to a UHF repeater, and another port on the controller as a fixed-frequency VHF remote transceiver.

Thanks for any info.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

I've also looked for solid information on how to use the accessory connector on two controllers, the basic RICK and the I20R.

I do believe that I have read in the I20R service manual about the accessory connector mirroring the pins on the recieve radio. For example, in my GR300 I have a 16 pin connector across the accessory connector on the controller so I can hear audio on the receive radio.

A word of caution however....I did manage to cause pretty major damage to a logic board of a reciever by trying to connect an "auxillary" receiever to the accessory port. So know what you are doing first.

Anyway, I'm not the only one who wants to hear about what you can really do with this connector.

Jay
d119

Post by d119 »

So far by tracing out the leads on the schematic, it APPEARS that everything is there to interface an external controller to the Accessory port, and have everything come out appropriately on the correct radios. It appears the PROG I/O lines on both radios are tied to the same pin on the Accessory connector.

Question though... Nand, I hope you're reading. If I DO have an external controller interfaced to the Accessory port, and the RICK is in "Repeater Disable" mode, will the RICK still pass audio even though the external controller is doing all the keying? In other words, suppose I have DTMF mute set up on the external controller, am I still going to hear DTMF tones being passed through the RICK, or does the Repeater Enable/Disable switch kill the audio path as well? Any workarounds if it doesn't?

Additionally, my "Repeater Set-Up" button is useless on the RICK, it's always in the "Set-Up" mode.
Nand

Post by Nand »

If you disable the RICK with the disable button (assuming that is what you were referring to) you can still use most of the signals at the center accessory connector and have another controller look after things instead. All the needed signals like CSQ or CSQ with PL and PTT, TX audio and RX audio appear there as well.

You will need a diagram or better yet, the manual to configure the RICK the way you like it.

For a diagram: http://www.batlabs.com/images/rick.gif

The setup/knock down button on the other hand (right hand) disables the repeaters TX radio if configured that way by removing power from the TX radio ignition control line. The left hand button just disables the repeat function in the RICK.

S1 in the diagram is the disable switch. S3 is the setup/knock down switch. S2 are all the dipswitches.

S2-3 is actually S2-2, and S2-2 is actually S2-3

S1 is a multi pole switch. It appears in four places. It is draw in the disabled position.
S1-1 disables the reverse repeater function if used. (Disconnects the RX PTT line on J5-3)
S1-2 prevents the RICK from keying the TX radio at J3-3.
S1-3 disconnects the RX radio COR pins from the RICK circuit.
S1-4 disables the VOX circuit from keying the TX radio if used.

S2-1 Enables reverse repeat (TX radio COR (pin-8 ) to RX radio PTT).
S2-2 and S2-3 select COR from the RX radio pin 14 or pin 8.
S2-4 Enables or disables the RX radio from setting up or knocking down the TX radio remotely.
S2-5 and S2-6 select either flat or mic audio for a reverse repeater configuration.
S2-7 Permanently enables the audio gate of VOX is used when S2-7 it is closed.
S2-8 and S2-9 select mic or flat audio in a reverse repeater configuration.
S2-10 and S2-11 select the hang time delay.
S2-12 when closed enables VOX.

S3 toggles the setup/knockdown circuit that controls the ignition control line at J3-pin10

JU-1 selects if the repeater is setup or knocked down when power is first turned on.

The COR signal controls both the keying and the audio gating to the TX radio (audio gate Q8 ). When the RICK is disabled, it will not pass audio even when an external circuit keys the TX radio instead. It is now up to the external circuit to pass the audio.

The programmable pins are connected between the RX and TX radios and should be programmed so as not to interfere with each. Unused pins should be set to “NULL INPUT”.

The setup/knock down works only I the ignition control in the TX radio is enabled (fuse in the TX radio is moved). Now the radio can be controlled through the ignition control line from the RICK or alternately from an alarm signal received by the RX radio.

Nand.
d119

Post by d119 »

Nand,
Very good. You answered my question exactly, and even gave me the answer I wanted to hear! This should work out pretty good. I will interface my external controller through the accessory port, and go from there.

One last question I had: Can you offer up a suggestion as to where I pick off the receiver audio on the Accessory port? I noticed that the line labelled "RX AUDIO" doesn't terminate on the Accessory connector. Int Spkr +, Ext Spkr +, Ext Spkr -, etc. does. Where do you suggest I pull the receive audio for the external controller from? I'd prefer to do EVERYTHING from the accessory port (minimize having to hack up the repeater).

Additionally, I will post and forward to Bat the pinouts for the accessory connector and what is tied to where within the next week or so, so everyone can benefit from it.

Thanks!
Nand

Post by Nand »

Good question. It looks like the only way to do that without making wiring changes to the RICK (that I wouldn’t mind) is to close S2-7 and use pin 11 on the accessory connector for RX audio. S2-7 causes the audio gate to pass audio when this switch is closed. You also need to open both S2-5 and S2-6 when doing this. Or you could use a separate cable from the RX radio mic connector and use the handset audio.
My preference would be to wire ACC pin 11 to RX radio pin 11 permanently instead of where it goes now and leave S2-7 open and S2-5 or 6 closed. That way you can have it work with or without the external controller if that is what you like. That should have been a jumper option.

Nand.
d119

Post by d119 »

Nand,
OK. Well if I just do like you said with leaving S2-7 closed and S2-5 and S2-6 open, will the RICK still pass audio through to the transmitter while the external controller does all the keying? DTMF muting is a must in this application.

That being the case, where's the best place to pick the audio off of the accessory connector, or the easiest mod to do?

Chris
Nand

Post by Nand »

The audio gate Q8 is controlled from either RX pin 8 or RX pin 14, depending on the COR source you picked with S2-2 or S2-3 and the RX radio programming, from there through the disable switch S1-3, Q15 and Q6 to the gate of Q8.

When COR is active (low), the audio gate Q8 passes audio from RX pin-11 to R23 (the repeat audio level control) and also to pin-11 of the bottom ACC connector.

When S1-3, the enable switch is set to disable (open), the audio gate cannot pass the RX audio, but can be forced to do so by closing S2-7.

If you like to use it with S2-7 closed, than the RX to TX audio can be passes through the RICK if either S2-5 or S2-6 is closed. If you leave S2-5 and S2-6 open, you will need to pass audio from ACC pin 11 through your controller to either ACC pin-2 or ACC pin-5.

Again, my suggestion would be to reroute ACC pin-11 to get audio from RX pin-11. That way you can truly disable the RICK and use something external to it instead. But at anytime, you can remove the external gadget and enable the RICK with a button push.

The way it is, the RICK adapts to a variety of Motorola gadgets, but it is not unusual that changed are made to accommodate special equipment.

Nand.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”