XTS5000R VHF and UHF Cross-Band - boards?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wadsworth
New User

XTS5000R VHF and UHF Cross-Band - boards?

Post by Wadsworth »

Hi, I need to build a one-off cross band repeater for two XTS5000R hand-held/portable radios to allow conventional cross-banding between VHF and UHF. Has anyone here done a VHF to UHF cross-band interface between these two radios or know of someone who might sell boards already made to hook each flavor of handheld together to do cross banding? This system will just be used as a link between a UHF and VHF repeater. I could do it myself, in time, but in a hurry with a low budget, hoping someone can recommend or provide schematics to build the interface.

Thanks!

Chris in Afghanistan
Wadsworth, Ohio.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: XTS5000R VHF and UHF Cross-Band - boards?

Post by escomm »

Going to sound like crap since it will be double vocoded

Same reason you can't tie two mobiles together with a RICK

And pretty sure that it's in conventional won't matter since the DSP processes all audio, analog or digital
Wadsworth
New User

Post by Wadsworth »

Thanks, but is it clear enough regardless of sounding far less than normal? I know there are companies who make these interfaces, maybe theirs are not to go through two repeaters, I have that option, of transmitting on another frequency and bypassing both repeaters, how about that?
Wadsworth, Ohio.
Wadsworth
New User

Post by Wadsworth »

I think you are telling me it won't matter whether conventional through a repeater or not won't matter, but it can sound like crap, as long as it is intelligible.
Wadsworth, Ohio.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Motorola sells a Tactical Repeater cable, the f/w in the radios has to be above 16.xx IIRC. I don't know what the P/N is but with some searching it should come up, ore someone will update it here. Well the double vocodiong is not the best thing to do, it will work otherwise Motorola (as well as a bunch of other manufactures) would not sell portable tactical repeaters.

Jim
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

I use one of these http://www.efjohnsontechnologies.com/pr ... n/repeater with XTS5000 radios for both inband (with duplexer) and crossband repeat for tactical repeaters all the time. This combination has been setup on the ground and airborne with no problem. They work well enough to provide extended coverage and very usable audio, but as indicated not the greatest audio. May not be the cheapest solution but the problem that you will run into is providing an effective COR which the Transpeater solves with a VOX curcuit. Hope this helps....

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
Wadsworth
New User

Post by Wadsworth »

Thanks much, it doesn't have to be super cheap, but less than the 4K units I've seen advertized as it is coming out of my own pocket without reimbursement from the military. If anyone else has further suggestions, please do.

Thanks

Chris KL7FB
Wadsworth, Ohio.
Wadsworth
New User

Post by Wadsworth »

Just to let everyone who is looking to do something similar, I purchased 5 of the EF Johnson (normally I don't buy their stuff) TransPeater III interfaces and wired them to the side of a XTS5000 portable radio's external hand mic side connector (using old mics, cut off) and it works very well. The audio quality was much better than I had expected and works great.
Wadsworth, Ohio.
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

Glad they worked for you....

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”