XTL5000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ceejohn
New User

XTL5000

Post by ceejohn »

I just purchased a XTL5000 Model # M20URS9PW1AN and flash code: 5400080004806. It appears to be a 2004 model if the decoder is correct. Is this unit already rebanded or is it going to need a firmware update? I also have a on 05 control head i was going to put on it and i wasn't sure it fit. It currently has on older Spectra type looking head not sure of the model. What can you tell me about it. I don't have the radio in hand so thats about all the information i have.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.
d119

Re: XTL5000

Post by d119 »

The firmware version will determine if it's been rebanded or not. Can you provide that information?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

ceejohn wrote:I just purchased a XTL5000 Model # M20URS9PW1AN and flash code: 5400080004806. It appears to be a 2004 model if the decoder is correct. Is this unit already rebanded or is it going to need a firmware update? I also have a on 05 control head i was going to put on it and i wasn't sure it fit. It currently has on older Spectra type looking head not sure of the model. What can you tell me about it. I don't have the radio in hand so thats about all the information i have.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

There have been a number of threads on converting the W7 or W9 head to the 05 head on the XTL5000. I don't remember all the details, but there was some part number changes someplace around the date of your radio.

You didn't say if it was a front mount or a trunk mount. The parts are different for the 2 versions.

Jim
ceejohn
New User

Post by ceejohn »

I don't have the radio in my hands yet, i will get the firmware version as soon as i do. This particular radio is a front mount.
ceejohn
New User

Post by ceejohn »

Ok I have this XTL5000 in hands now. I don't have a cable to program this model so I don't have a firmware version. It is a front mount radio with a W5 head. Can it be changed to the 05 control head? If so what all do I need? I have the 05 control head from a remote mount setup. I know the connections are different I have already looked at them. What other parts will I need?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I believe pressing the 'home' button 5 times after power-up will put it into test mode & scroll the model#, ser#, firmware version, etc on the screen.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

ceejohn wrote:Ok I have this XTL5000 in hands now. I don't have a cable to program this model so I don't have a firmware version. It is a front mount radio with a W5 head. Can it be changed to the 05 control head? If so what all do I need? I have the 05 control head from a remote mount setup. I know the connections are different I have already looked at them. What other parts will I need?

Once you get the needed interface parts, you will still have to sync the head to the radio. There are files on the MOL site that will do this. There are also instructions on how to sync the radio to the head.

If the radio and the 05 head are not in sync with each other, you will get all sorts of strange things happening with the display showing different messages.

Being a dash mount radio, you can obtain either the mic connector programming cable or the one that uses the rear accessory connector. The part number for the 05 mic connector programming cable using a USB interface is HKN6184A. Don't have the rear cable number handy.

Jim

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”