ASTRO VRS-EP 'vs' SYS9000 VRS

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Nick

Post by Nick »

Anyone had any experience with a VRS-EP?? What is the difference between this and a Systems 9000 VRS apart from the Expo/R-net inside?? Can you use a Spectra VRS on a ASTRO Spectra?? The reason for asking is that I have an ASTRO Spectra Siren/PA and a Systems 9000 VRS and I'm going to combine the VRS in to the Siren/PA housing to use with an ASTRO Spectra W9 I have. Thanks for any help or info.

Nick
motsaber99

Post by motsaber99 »

I have been trying this for about 2 months. I have found that the Astro Spectra will only work with the VRS-EP Model whick is a P-2012 I believe. I contacted the local bat wing dealer and they advised me that the VRS-EP is a Govt. Item only and not for sale to the public. It doesn't even show up in price lists or on the net. I have attempted to use any different type of VRS. I have been told by a couple of service guys that a few of the departments they work with have chosen the Pyramid SVR200. But I am looking for one of those to try. Hard to find.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi!
This was on eBay a couple of weeks ago http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1268485373

This is the breakdown on the VRS-EP
P2017A - VRS-EP, UHF 403-470 MHz, 300 mW (Astro Spectra)
P2019A - VRS-EP, VHF 136-174 MHz, 300 mW (Astro Spectra)
P2020A - VRS-EP, VHF 136-174 MHz, 300 mW (Astro Spectra)
P2022A - VRS-EP, UHF 403-470 MHz, 2 Watts (Astro Spectra)

Also found some info here http://www.open.org/~blenderm/syntorx/surplusx.html
"The SP01 only works with the Syntor X 9000.
SP02 is listed for the Spectra, but, they seem to work just fine with Syntor X 9000 radios as well.
The HKN4295A T-Cable can also be used by Spectra and Astro Spectra when daisy chaining separate Siren/Pa and VRS housings together.
The A revisions use Expo radios and the B revisions use R-Net radios. Both of these radios are crystal controlled so there is no RSS to change their frequency.
VRS-EP stands for Vehicle Repeater System - Extend Protocol. These are strictly Astro Spectra accessories.
None of these are comparable with any Syntor X or earlier radios. The reasons are, the radio's computer provides the program to run the VRS and they use a Systems 9000 bidirectional serial link".
Nick

Post by Nick »

Also this shows up on Accesspoint
Part Item : YLE1009B Description: VRS EP UHF KIT $1400

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”