What type of routers and switches in 7x?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Electronic_tech1
New User

What type of routers and switches in 7x?

Post by Electronic_tech1 »

Hello,

I was wondering, if anyone can tell me what type of routers and network switches the Smartzone 7x system uses. My company will eventually be purchasing a 7x system, and I would like to become familure with the routers and switches now. I was told they will probably be using Cisco network products in the 7x system. If so, does anyone know what model line roughly? Thank you in advance!
alex
Administrator

Re: What type of routers and switches in 7x?

Post by alex »

Electronic_tech1 wrote:Hello,

I was wondering, if anyone can tell me what type of routers and network switches the Smartzone 7x system uses. My company will eventually be purchasing a 7x system, and I would like to become familure with the routers and switches now. I was told they will probably be using Cisco network products in the 7x system. If so, does anyone know what model line roughly? Thank you in advance!
Motorola uses HP Procurve Switches in their network. I would assume they do the same thing with regards to routers (as needed) but do not know off hand.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

I have GGM8000( I think that is the right number) switches/routers on my links for my NM Client and CCGE links to a 7.13 system. They were Pro Curve originally on a 4.x system, got upgraded last year. My understanding is that is what exists throughout the system. We are on a upgrade path to MCC7500 IP consoles and I was told only change in the switch/router setup might be a software update. Whether or not that is correct would be left up to somebody above my pay grade actually working on the configuration.
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Depending on which version of 7.x you are referring to:

7.8 and below use S2500s for site routers (or S6000s depending on number items at the site) and HP2626s for the switches.
7.9 and above use GGM800s for site routers, and HP2626s.

The Core lanswitch also changed depending on which version of system as well.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

You could probabaly use a $135 mikrotik switch and it would work just fine, lol.
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

From what I have heard CISCO products are not used because of the cost and the fact that the system does not require that much processing power.
MSS-Dave

Post by MSS-Dave »

You could also use a $500 or less desktop for CCGE. To buy a /\/\ certified HP Z400 workstation for the same thing is somewhere in the $5-6K range if I remember right.
Electronic_tech1
New User

Post by Electronic_tech1 »

Excellent info! You guys are great! Thank you.
Q2222A

Post by Q2222A »

The latest release is A7.13. This release, when new, uses HP ProCurve 3800 for the Core LAN Switches and HP ProCurve 2620 for site switches. The Motorola S6000 is still used for Gateway Routers and Core Routers. The Motorola GGM 8000 is used for site gateways.

All the OP asked was about switches and routers used in 7.X. Why did the thread degrade to CentraCom Gold Elite computers and prices?

Denny
MSS-Dave

Post by MSS-Dave »

Q2222A wrote:The latest release is A7.13. This release, when new, uses HP ProCurve 3800 for the Core LAN Switches and HP ProCurve 2620 for site switches. The Motorola S6000 is still used for Gateway Routers and Core Routers. The Motorola GGM 8000 is used for site gateways.

All the OP asked was about switches and routers used in 7.X. Why did the thread degrade to CentraCom Gold Elite computers and prices?

Denny
Well damn Denny, sorry to twist up your day. Thanks for throwing your $.02 in with your info though.....
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Swapping in your computers for their computers is a sure fire way for them to blame your PC when you have a problem and not get support.
I have run into this before and there are reasons for it. I have personally seen Gold Elite not run right (serial interface issues to the CIE) when running a Dell.

Just buy there stuff and be assured that when it fails at 3 in the morning that they will support it 100%.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
cmdcomm
New User

Post by cmdcomm »

Tech tonics, are you sure the 2500's and 6000's can't be upgraded to work with 7.11? I have a project we are about to start.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”